Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
So, what was the point of the thread?
Asap is 11 months away if I don't break my lease......so if caulking would help I would recommend it to my landlady. Who would probably try anything. She was pretty distraught about the whole thing.

But since it won't help, I won't pursue it any further. Is that okay with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 03:02 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
With the water in the condo, depending on the lease can be grounds to break the lease.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Asap is 11 months away if I don't break my lease......so if caulking would help I would recommend it to my landlady. Who would probably try anything. She was pretty distraught about the whole thing.

But since it won't help, I won't pursue it any further. Is that okay with you?
I'm sure your landlady was distraught! She's looking at a major expense, a lost tenant (you), and possibly an unrentable unit.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm sure your landlady was distraught! She's looking at a major expense, a lost tenant (you), and possibly an unrentable unit.
If she doesn't have flood insurance, she's a fool. It isn't required here. This was not a 'river rose until it covered the area flood' or even a 'storm surge' that the island properties get which is very powerful and is usually gone pretty quickly. This was...the neighborhood does not have adequate drainage kind of flood, which does not get documented on the flood maps, as far as I know.

And if I rented this unit without being aware that a hurricane could potentially cause water to enter my home where it does not normally flood, I'm a fool.

There are not a lot of affordable rental options in my area. I'm betting that after this hurricane there are NO affordable options because every occupy-able home in the county will be rented by the end of the week.

I'm taking steps to sell my home in Raleigh so I can purchase something more suitable here. To think...i rejected all mobile homes because I was afraid they would blow away in a hurricane.

Actually just discovered that water leaking through my upstairs neighbor's shed/porch floor damaged the sheathing on the inside of my shed. Also not my problem. Yay!

Old 09-21-2018, 05:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
5” of standing water, regardless of how or why that water got there, will cause interior water damage.

You could create a water barrier around the house with sandbags, but that isn’t practical in many places and is only a temporary fix.

A bead of caulking will not help.

Proper drainage would, except for storm surge which would likely overwhelm drain pipes.

An inch gap?! That is huge. Can you see daylight through it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House