Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times

Advertisements

So I called ADT regarding their free installation. They wanted a 36 month contract and my social security number to do a credit check before I even purchase a system. Apparently if your credit score is less than 650, you can't get the free installation. If it's more than 650, you qualify. Does anyone have ADT? I'm assuming the length of their contract is negotiable.

Also, do you own the equipment at the end of 3 years from ADT? And I heard the monitoring fees are not stable and can increase over the lifetime of the contract; the rumor is ADT starts you out at $35 per month and then charges up to a $100 a month at the end of the contract.

If anyone has ADT, what are good questions to ask. I read some old threads and got some helpful advice. I know with these type of services, it's like buying a car and you have to know what questions so you don't get ripped off or fail to receive service you were promised.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-20-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
Nothing in life is for "free", hence why they want to do a credit check. The alarm system is essentially financed through their monthly monitoring fees.

Local alarm and monitoring companies tend to be much more realistic; you pay for the system upfront, but your monthly fees aren't going to be so high either.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,612 times
The three year contract is required to recoup their investment. My last home I owned the equipment and paid a yearly monitoring fee. I paid by the year which lowered the rates.
When I moved to my current home, I had a company install my system on a three year contract. After three years I owned the equipment and could go to anyone I wanted for monitoring.
They require you to have good credit because you will have hundreds of dollars of their property in your home, and they want it paid for...!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:15 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
The three year contract is required to recoup their investment. My last home I owned the equipment and paid a yearly monitoring fee. I paid by the year which lowered the rates.
When I moved to my current home, I had a company install my system on a three year contract. After three years I owned the equipment and could go to anyone I wanted for monitoring.
They require you to have good credit because you will have hundreds of dollars of their property in your home, and they want it paid for...!
So it sounds like ADT's mandatory 3 year contract is not negotiable? I have excellent credit BTW but I felt uncomfortable giving my social security number over the phone when I haven't even purchased the system.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:26 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Local alarm and monitoring companies tend to be much more realistic; you pay for the system upfront, but your monthly fees aren't going to be so high either.
Absolutely correct. If you shop around with local alarm companies, you should be able to find a basic system with keypad, 2-3 motion sensors and/or 2-3 door contacts for $349-$499 installed then monitoring anywhere from $20.00-$26.99/month.

Both ADT and Brinks have been advertising "free systems" for years and the $35.99 for 36 months becomes $1295.64. The equipment they use is the same that the local provider uses and the third year becomes pure profit for them.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
my current home came with an ADT alarm. In previous homes I had alarms, but never paid to have them monitored. I called ADT, and they won't help me make the alarm functional unless I sign a contract. So, we have an unused alarm system.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
You don't expect them to do it for free ;do you.They arew a business there to make moeny afterall.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 PM

5,650 posts, read 6,208,289 times
For the reasons mentioned above I don't think it's a scam. In fact I did it myself and have had the system for about a year. The rate has not gone up in that time. They are providing a system and installing it and they need to know they will have at least three years worth of revenue to make it worthwhile. It's better than paying for the system AND the monitoring I think. And after being burglarized at the new house after having lived here for only a week, it's absolutely worth the additional peace of mind (although I certainly know that an alarm system guarantees it won't happen again).

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Just get a dog, much cheaper and more effective.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,146,159 times
Hi azriverfan.
ADT is now the biggest( they have taken over broadview/brinks).
Remember to ask if you can get a discount with aaa( I do).
Tell them that you are OK with the contract.
My contract has gone up incrementally. Going from 35 to 100 would be usurious/excessive and they would loose you and many others quickly with that practice and they would stand little chance of winning even in small claims or with collections.
I would like to see them try to come and take the equipment! You can ask about it...it's kind of a write off, hence the contract.
I would NOT submit to a credit check; have them come out and check you and your house in person. If the representative is not empowered to make such a huge decision, ask for a supervisor. Credit checks can hurt your credit. This is a hoop jumping/ customer disservice policy and I would remind them that there are local security system companies that monitor as well. this is a certain p.r. faux pas that I would like to see if they will waive if pushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House