Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:34 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times

Advertisements

Personally I prefer a fixed quote for any job. I actually prefer one that says $xx but if it goes easier than I am estimating, I will lower the final bill. They are a rare breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
As of about 3 years ago, our very skilled handyman in the SF Bay Area charged $40 hour.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:38 PM

21 posts, read 13,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Really?

The PVC molding and trim is essentially just nailing pieces to the walls. The ceilings already have light fixtures. It's just swapping them out for ceiling fans. That's one day of work. On day 2, the backsplash and vinyl kitchen tile.

Installing ceiling fans may involve more than just swapping out fixtures. The fan weighs a good bit more than a light fixture and if the junction box is only nailed to a rafter that fan is coming down. There are metal mounting brackets available that distribute the weight between two rafters. This one is from a popular home improvement warehouse that will remain nameless for $14. If the attic space is accessible, just screw a 2x4 between the rafters and screw the junction box to it for a cheap fix.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfbag View Post
Installing ceiling fans may involve more than just swapping out fixtures. The fan weighs a good bit more than a light fixture and if the junction box is only nailed to a rafter that fan is coming down. There are metal mounting brackets available that distribute the weight between two rafters. This one is from a popular home improvement warehouse that will remain nameless for $14. If the attic space is accessible, just screw a 2x4 between the rafters and screw the junction box to it for a cheap fix.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. If the location is on a first floor ceiling with a finished floor above it (OP never said and is probably long gone never to return), you're either pulling up the upstairs floor or cutting a big hole in the ceiling drywall to get access to the joists on either side.

Well, at this point we're probably just discussing it amongst ourselves as the OP, hoping to find validation for her narrative, but being told instead that there was no way her planned jobs would fit in her hoped-for labor hours, has undoubtedly moved on.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Now that you have about 50 different suggestions and opinions, here’s mine.

Price the work competitively to the specific trade your looking for, crown molding goes to carpentry and ceiling fans go to electricians.

Always do the electrical first in case there are wall opening or holes to patch and sparkle.

A Handyman is usually someone familiar and mediocre at doing many things while a tradesman is highly skilled at his (or her) specific trade. There is almost always big difference with with the end product as well as the time involved to complete the work.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:02 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have NEVER had a job come out cheaper by the project than by the hour, even when I have bought the materials (e.g. tile or disposal or whatever). For example, I had my washing machine moved upstairs to the other side of a bathroom wall (so there was already water & drain lines in the wall). I was quoted $500 for the job by my (former) plumber. OK, fine, I need to use my brand new washer so yes, do it. Well, the plumber took less than 3 hours -- which would have been $246 at his company's hourly rate -- and used maybe $50 of materials. So I was charged almost double by the job compared to what I would have paid by the hour. Never again!!
Yeah, it's so hard to tell sometimes. I had someone coming to do a project (I am paying for the project, so he doesn't have to play with hours) and the first day, he told my husband this part should be done in about two hours. Of course, given the situation, he couldn't tell for sure, but he was just basing that off of his experience. Turns out it was a lot more work than he thought and it took about five hours. The next part would take about 1-2 hours, which he was right and the last part will probably take about an hour. But still---even with given hours you never know. Sometimes projects that look easy (mine did) aren't as easy as they seem if everything doesn't go according to plan.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Now that you have about 50 different suggestions and opinions, here’s mine.

Price the work competitively to the specific trade your looking for, crown molding goes to carpentry and ceiling fans go to electricians.

Always do the electrical first in case there are wall opening or holes to patch and sparkle.

A Handyman is usually someone familiar and mediocre at doing many things while a tradesman is highly skilled at his (or her) specific trade. There is almost always big difference with with the end product as well as the time involved to complete the work.
Because time is important, I've decided you use separate contractors for each job. An electrician for the celling fans, a separate person for the backsplash, flooring, etc. I'm going to do the crown molding and wainscoting myself. I can have everything done in 3 days. Individually, none of the jobs will take more than 3-4 hours.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:19 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
I know most handymen like to charge by the project. Has anyone ever had any luck hiring a handyman based on an hourly wage?

I have a lot of odd jobs and I thought I could offer like $60/hr for eight hours a day, for two days.

Odd jobs would include:

-Doing interior wood trim work (add chair rail, wainscoting, etc)
-Install PVC crown molding in two rooms
-Put in kitchen backsplash
-Install three ceiling fans
-Put down vinyl tiles in kitchen/bath

The wood trim work would be similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM-zFzGmWbM
We hired a handyman to do a couple of odd jobs but they involved much less time and scope than what you listed.

We hired a finish carpenter to install trim and other woodworking jobs.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:01 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Because time is important, I've decided you use separate contractors for each job. An electrician for the celling fans, a separate person for the backsplash, flooring, etc. I'm going to do the crown molding and wainscoting myself. I can have everything done in 3 days. Individually, none of the jobs will take more than 3-4 hours.
Be sure to come back and let us know how it all goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House