Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 08:03 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am replacing a wooden deck and have already received an opinion from a well respected CD-er whom I have asked more than my share of questions of, K'ledgebldr. Now I have a broader based question.

I have received a couple of estimates and the usual suspects, Trex vs Azek, were quoted. I had my mind made up based upon the above reply and a couple of other local friends. However, there is a variable that came into play that may change my decision.

Both the estimates quoted me on a Wolf product and it was considerably cheaper and both said it was a great product especially for my application. I am always one to stick to the well known products, however, in this case I really am confused.

I need 25 boards @20 feet and the same at 12 feet to cover my deck. The variable that perhaps is most important is my reason for doing this. Our home had a wooden deck on it when we bought it and it is now pushing 16 years old. We've have to paint/stain and scrape it every couple of years due to sun from sunrise till a bit after noon based upon the position of the house. The boards are starting to split so I want to take care of this sooner rather than later. Now this is the variable. We never use the deck. The grill is on the deck and we walk across it to get to the outside shower. I have a table, but I believe we used it last about 3 years ago. I am very allergic to mosquitos so I prefer our screen room. It really is solely for the purpose of eliminating a project and improving the look. Now, as far as the warranty, they seem to be similar and we may not outlive the 25 year warranty and if we do, we will be too old to care!!!

I don't want to be stupid and spend more than I need to but, I also don't want to regret my decision. IF we were entertaining out there I would not be second guessing myself, but both contractors said the same thing when told how we used the deck. My suspicious mind goes to maybe they are making more by selling the Wolf product, but then again, Trex and Azek have the name.

So opinions anyone on Wolf products. TIA.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 06-23-2019 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 01:13 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I'm not familiar with Wolf Decking. But for a similar application with lots of direct sun, I went to a local store that had samples of all of the products they sold, in all of the colors for each one, with samples that were outside, so you could see how they had weathered over time.

I went with the one I liked best in the way it looked AFTER it had been outside in the sun for several years. This is the one I got, in Golden Teak as the main color but I added a border in Tropical Walnut for some contrast.

https://duralifedecking.com/composit...ons/#hardwoods

Old 06-23-2019, 04:30 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not familiar with Wolf Decking. But for a similar application with lots of direct sun, I went to a local store that had samples of all of the products they sold, in all of the colors for each one, with samples that were outside, so you could see how they had weathered over time.

I went with the one I liked best in the way it looked AFTER it had been outside in the sun for several years. This is the one I got, in Golden Teak as the main color but I added a border in Tropical Walnut for some contrast.

https://duralifedecking.com/composit...ons/#hardwoods
That Golden Teak is pretty. I got a quote for my deck and he was recommending Timber Tech.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:04 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
This should reaffirm my previous advice-
It's an article that's a few years old, but the jest of the content hasn't really changed.

https://www.architectmagazine.com/te...-one-is-best_o

...as for the Wolf brand specifically, I don't have any experience with that brand- and looking at the company history I'd say they just go wherever there's a buck to be made. Mind you that's not bad in itself- companies are in business to make money- but the lack of performance tests, no published MSDS(that I could find), and probably a very limited available market would make me leery of purchase.

As stated in the article- with a lack of "real world performance" it's kinda ridiculous that a manufacturer would offer 20-25yr warranties- with of course a lot of exclusions and limits!

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 06-24-2019 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
If you don’t use the deck, what’s the purpose of keeping it? Any reason you cant get rid of it and have a small concrete patio poured?

Every time I see one of those huge decks in a real estate listing the first thing that comes to my mind is ‘what a headache’.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:28 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If you don’t use the deck, what’s the purpose of keeping it? Any reason you cant get rid of it and have a small concrete patio poured?

Every time I see one of those huge decks in a real estate listing the first thing that comes to my mind is ‘what a headache’.

My husband and I are having this discussion currently he wants to put a very large deck on the house and im thinking no let us just replace the size we have now .We don't entertain outside we don't have a pool and we don't eat outside either . I cant understand why some people have the need to have an oversized deck on their house again I think major headache to have something else to clean and take care of .

Old 06-27-2019, 02:27 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I'm not sure how a deck made of composite or similar materials is "such a headache" because all you need to do is hose it down now and again. I went with it because from my perspective it was the LEAST amount of maintenance option. And with the specifics of my property, where it's a very small area but there's a fairly significant slope, it would have ended up being a very involved concrete project. There wasn't all that much difference in the pricing and I decided I liked the look of the decking material enough better to pay the difference.

I do use my deck on a semi-regular basis although not nearly as much as I thought I would. But I could say that about a lot of things!

Old 06-27-2019, 05:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not sure how a deck made of composite or similar materials is "such a headache" because all you need to do is hose it down now and again. I went with it because from my perspective it was the LEAST amount of maintenance option. And with the specifics of my property, where it's a very small area but there's a fairly significant slope, it would have ended up being a very involved concrete project. There wasn't all that much difference in the pricing and I decided I liked the look of the decking material enough better to pay the difference.

I do use my deck on a semi-regular basis although not nearly as much as I thought I would. But I could say that about a lot of things!
The framing underneath the decking is still made of wood, and it’ll still eventually rot.

30 years ago you could buy pressure treated lumber and expect it to last a good while, but the stuff they sell nowadays is awful. The wood itself is fast growth and very soft, and I believe the preserving chemicals have been weakened as well.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:48 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Here s a little anecdotal story about using an "off-brand" product--even with a warranty.

I did my deck about seven years ago in Kodiak Composite. It was sort of a "major" name at the time.

Fast forward six years and the product delaminated. The planks opened up a gap in the middle of the board anywhere from an eighth to 5/16 and more. It was covered by warranty...however....

Kodiak was bought by a third party and they put the brand out of its misery. Part of the decision was they knew they would never be number one or two in the space and therefore got out. They did work with me and sent me a check for the purchase price of the entire decking material (planks only).

So, I had to unscrew a few thousand screws and remove the old boards. Then I had to cut and install the new planks (from Trex). I matched the color as closely as possible, but of course Kodiak and Trex do not have the same colors.

In the end I was out my labor (substantial) to remove and replace.

The moral of the story: Stick with a leading brand name, in spite of the warranty from a lesser known brand. In this world I would say go with Trex, Azec or Timber Tech. They all have been around for some time and therefore I conclude that their products are reliable.

I am not sure I would have made a different decision regarding Kodiak as they were a significant, nationally known brand at the time. But it sure did cost me in the end--not to mention that the darned planks are heavy and after lugging them around for a day you know you have been working. Then, of course, I had to get rid of the old material--also a chore.

Costly project. Do it once, Do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House