Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 10:18 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,425,220 times

Advertisements

I feel Glass Break Sensor being kind of redundant to motion because once the individual breaks the glass
and enter the home. They will be detected by the motion right away if the motion sensor is also placed by the windows. Not sure if I need both as I know the detections are in different method as one is from sound and other is infrared.

I like to be logical about my purchase rather than just buying to buy things. What you guys recommend getting both or motion only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 10:22 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,533,692 times
Motion detectors do a better job.

We have an ADT system in our recently purchased home. It's just a skeleton of an alarm system. Still need sensors on every ground floor window and door as motion sensors don't fully cover a home.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,326,937 times
I've found that glass break sensors can trip with other similar noises. The sole advantage is that you can have it active with pets in the house while motion sensors are hit and miss (even the "pet safe" ones).

Old 04-07-2020, 11:17 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,221,011 times
My experience is more with automotive systems than home, but glass-break sensors operate BEFORE the perp can enter the premises.

There are also better and worse models of glass sensor. The cheap models that come with DIY kits and most monitored home systems (especially the new trend of E-Z-install wireless and decor-friendly crap) are not as selective and false too often. There are better models that have better selectivity (to glass-break frequencies and audio patterns), and are a good layer along with selective motion detection.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,806,226 times
I dropped my motion sensor after too many false alarms from the miserable thing. I do have pets but that was only a problem one time as it wasn't set at a high enough angle to accommodate my dog jumping on the sofa. The thing would go off if an unwelcome insect flew past it. Then there was the time that a spider somehow got into it and walked back and forth over the sensor, setting it off every time. The tech eventually dismantled the unit and figured out what was going on but it took a bit of detective work. It was also installed very high up in a corner and was extremely difficult to get to when it was battery-changing time. It was here when I moved in so that was my first experience with it.

I now have the glass breaker sensor, along with sensors on every window and door should they be tampered with. So far, so good.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:26 PM

107,122 posts, read 109,484,448 times
Bad guys will break the window ...let the alarm ring off .....they wait for a response from police or alarm company and then when the coast is clear go inside and rob the house knowing the system shunted the tripped zone ....

They are not a replacement for each other ..one is perimeter defense the other interior

Old 04-07-2020, 03:34 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,221,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Bad guys will break the window ...let the alarm ring off .....they wait for a response from police or alarm company and then when the coast is clear go inside and rob the house knowing the system shunted the tripped zone ....

They are not a replacement for each other ..one is perimeter defense the other interior
I wouldn't disagree with your last statement, in that redundancy is never a bad thing, but as for your first comments... very few of us have to fend off James Bond, Ethan Hawke or even Jack MacLean.

And any alarm company/private responder that left a house unprotected after a patent break-in attempt is probably at the level of doorknocker "We're having a special this week" ADI and the like.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:47 PM

Breaking a window first is standard fare in these parts ....even the dumbest crooks do it ....they know the police will drive by and once they do they know that zone is effectively out and they can go in and scope things out.

Unless you pay for guard response ,no alarm company here ever sends a sole ...they just notify the cops who if you are lucky will eventually drive by ..guard response is a whole lot of money in These parts

Old 04-08-2020, 08:57 AM

7,061 posts, read 9,116,481 times
In a previous life, part of my work involved alarm systems. Glass break sensors can false, as can motion sensors. However, if the monitoring station operator sees a glass sensor trip followed by a motion sensor trip, it is generally considered to be a pretty good sign that an actual intrusion is in progress and response may be hastened.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:59 AM

Exactly ....a ring off on a window and inside sensor is a good indicator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House