Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2019, 08:47 AM

73 posts, read 153,371 times

Advertisements

Our house as I speak is being prepped to be repainted on the exterior. We are keeping the same paint color as we’ve had the past six years.

Our trim is a milk chocolate colored brown, and the old finish had been “gloss“. Our main house color has been & is again going to be in a satin finish.

The lead painter is proposing that we consider having the trim in a satin finish as well, instead of gloss. He says it shows less imperfections in the wood, & is superior with a darker colored trim such as ours.

We need to let them know if we are going to change from gloss to satin by the end of today.

Could we have some quick input on this? Should we change our darker colored trim to a satin finish instead of gloss? Pros? Cons? of doing this change or not?

We think it might “look” better, but priority-wise our main concern is we want to pick the right finish that will not fade more quickly!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 09:18 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelson View Post
Our house as I speak is being prepped to be repainted...
The lead painter is proposingn...
I think you need a different painter.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:01 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Supposedly, full gloss fades less than other kinds of finish.
Supposedly, dark colors show fading the most (makes sense).
Glossier finish (whether paint or varnish) DOES show surface imperfections more than less glossy finishes do.

Given the first two generalizations and your desire to minimize fading, you should be considering keeping the full gloss but in a lighter shade.

Your painter might prefer to avoid full gloss for any of several reasons:

- Maybe he gets a better contractor price on satin than on gloss and pockets the gain for himself.
- Maybe he/his crew are not good enough to do a great job with gloss OR he sees that there are existing surface defects he fears you will blame on his paint job.
- Maybe he is used to using satin more than any other finish and does not want to have to take more care with the gloss that might show sloppy brush strokes more obviously.

We had a painter who was very reluctant to use another big-name paint company’s products instead of his favorite. The favored company gives a HUGE contractor discount compared with the company whose paints we prefer. Beware, because this kind of behind-your-back dealing might be influencing his advice to you.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:00 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Yes, satin has more hiding power however, semi gloss has more stain and sun resistance and would clean tolerate pressure washing more that satin.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:17 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
I don't know about "gloss" for exterior paint...

I spec semi-gloss for trim and siding-
All paint fades- so I see no advantage there.
Imperfections in wood/siding- most of that can be eliminated with good prep-work. Whatever is left, chalk it up to "Mother Nature".

The biggest advantage of semi-gloss is cleanliness. Flat paint has a lot of texture/porous, it collects dirt/dust. Semi-gloss is much smoother- it doesn't hold dirt/dust.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:17 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,077 times
I use semi-gloss for trim, both inside and out. For the main exterior, I use a flat/matte option. Aren't these the norm? I would not use satin on trim, but I like it for the main interior paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House