Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 12,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I cannot own a home that there isnt a second floor laundry room we have front loaders so we would not have an issue with overflow and lol we will deal with plumbing issue if that ever happens.

The reason I like second floor because that is where the bedrooms and bathrooms are and laundry baskets are so it easy transport.

I could never understand homes with the laundry room in the kitchen that is place where I eat and I dont want clothes there or have to go downstairs and grab something out of the dryer to wear if I havent folded anything yet.

I do agree with above poster about you cant do late night laundry especially since I always have coins left in the pockets. But if someone in your household made you mad throw a shoe in the dryer it such a good pay back.
Are there alot of home in your area with 2nd floor laundry rms .What state do you live? Our old home had 2nd floor love it. new home is in the basement hate it,looking at removing a closet and installins on 1st floor close to bed rooms .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I have a 2nd floor laundry room and a front load washer. It is extremely convenient not having to carry laundry up and down the stairs. Also easier getting towels and sheets put away. However, there can be problems. My new Maytag frontloader had a computer failure when we first bought it and the overflow (we do have a pan under the washer) went through the ceiling, into the kitchen lighting, and caused a mess in both the kitchen and breakfast area. Fast thinking kept most of the damage out of the family room. There are no guarantees on a washer computer failure other than I will never own another Maytag. They really gave me a hard time. Luckily, I have bought it from Sears and they took care of everything.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:45 AM

275 posts, read 1,544,987 times
Default 2nd Floor all the way

With the many loads of clothes I wash I have boys!), I wouldn't have it any other way. I did the whole dragging clothes up and downstairs and what a pain. Our laundry room is in the hallway and it works perfect for my needs. There is not room to fold in the room but I wouldn't stand there to fold clothes to begin with. I also love how after I fold the clothes, I can just walk down to the kids room or our master bedroom to put the clothes up. Before, the folded clothes would sit in the basket all week because I had already tired myself up and down the stairs that the last thing I wanted to do was haul the heavy basket back upstairs and put clothes up. Yeah...call me lazy but hey, I'm the only one that does laundry in my house. I gotta make things easy on me. Lol. As far as waking anyone up at night, I do my laundry early Saturday mornings so I don't have to worry about that.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 AM

622 posts, read 3,112,427 times
Yep, 2nd floor all the way. No contest for me. WHY WHY WHY WHY carry all the clothes down and back up. That's like parking your car in a garage down the block from your house, and walking home each night. I do see the reasons people gave, but the conveneience IMO far outweighs the others, especially when some can be remedied. Walking up and down steps can not be remedied.

Like someone else pointed out, there are devises you can install on the valves to instantly shut off the water if you have a hose break etc... Also, if you're building new, you can install (or this might be code) a drain in the floor so if there was a leak, it would just go down the drain. Think of it like a stand up shower with the drain in the floor.

I have a first floor off the kitchen laundry, and i moved it to the BASEMENT!! I hate it! Two flights of steps, banging the laundry basket on the walls, knuckles scrathced in doorways, on the way down... Laundry's done! Bring it back up... Next load! Bring it down... WHY? ARGHHH!

If i ever built, I would do it on the second floor, with a drain in the tiled floor. Install an auto shutoff on the valve. Sure, insulate the room for noise too. Bedrooms to laundry, bathrooms to laundry... Much easier. Clothes do not belong on the first floor at all. Ever. Clothes in the kitchen?! Through the living room?! WHY!!!

Ummm, sorry, I've had this built up frustration for a while now. Thanks for listening.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
All my bedrooms and laundry room is upstairs. Really convenient for me. Also I have the LG steamers and my floor has an overflow drain in case something happens.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,083 times
DH and I wired some very large and beautiful homes. The second floor mostly are 3 bedrooms and an entertainment room. Laundry facilities and full bath on that level.
The first floor has the master bath, powder room and all the kitchen and living space one could dream of. Includeing another laundry room. First time we wired one of these homes I asked DH "why would anyone want 2 laundry rooms?" But I figured it out for myself LOL. Conveinent not to lug up or downstairs. Soiled and then clean etc...

Old 10-12-2008, 10:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think open of the most important issued with second floor plumbing is to have cast iron plumbing to the first floor. Cuts out alot of water noise and it more durable. Better builders wioll do thsi.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 11,139 times
I LOVE my upstairs laundry room. I made sure to not get one that opened up onto the hallway, but if you can get an actual laundry room on the second floor, it is great. Mine is off a loft / office and has a shelf and hanging rod, plenty of room for a wall-mounted ironing board and room for a dresser for misc storage. I love the convenience of not having a laundry room on the first floor, where it seems more often than not is either a pass-through or a also a bathroom, neither of which is conducive to laundry that is stacked to be transported or dirty clothes separated into whites and colors. I can make piles on the floor of my laundry room and shut the door when company comes over :-) I would prefer to always have it on the 2nd floor. I understand the plumbing concerns but you should have these hoses (and lint vent) inspected annually or bi-annually to prevent these things from occurring. There is no guarantee but the convenience far outweighs the risk.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
Some newer homes have 2nd floor laundry rooms. I know they're supposed to be beneficial, but are they really? I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons from those who have them.
What floor do the kids live on? Put the laundry room there... Or, if its too late to do that, put the kids where the laundry room is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House