Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 11:29 AM

14,534 posts, read 12,163,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The place where I intend to buy my home is not in an earthquake zone, and Earthquakes are very rare. Major earthquakes are unheard of, so the Earthquake risk factor people keep mentioning is largely irrelevant here.
Well, giving us more information might have been helpful.

Because all things are not equal, usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 11:58 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,665,455 times
Well, European structures are mostly concrete/stone and have survived for centuries.

Down here construction is ALL concrete. No wood at all. This is earthquake country. If a concrete building is properly built ("sliding" foundations, adequate rebar) it can survive earthquakes quite well.

I can say that since our building went through a 7.8 earthquake a couple years ago. Damage was mostly just cosmetic whereas some poorly built buildings did collapse.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:31 PM

4,239 posts, read 2,464,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Well, European structures are mostly concrete/stone and have survived for centuries.

Down here construction is ALL concrete. No wood at all. This is earthquake country. If a concrete building is properly built ("sliding" foundations, adequate rebar) it can survive earthquakes quite well.

I can say that since our building went through a 7.8 earthquake a couple years ago. Damage was mostly just cosmetic whereas some poorly built buildings did collapse.
Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Where I live now- NE Kansas, there are many limestone buildings from the 19th century that look no worse for wear now. It's incredible how well built they are.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:34 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:

There is plenty of wood frame construction all over Europe. My folks had a timber cabin where the center beam was engraved 1782.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
Concrete is by far the durable ones.
1: no termites or bugs
2: flame resistance.
3: stronghold.

We have a prison in our town ...built from concrete. Hasn't crumpled yet..been thru 2 major floods...a turbulent underground shake (near sink hole) and it still stands.

One contractor said with that steel and concrete it will outlast another 150 years. It is a beauty.

My dream home will be built with both those materials.
Cool in summer....and sound barrier .
Down sides if it cracks...it's a bugger to completely mend.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:12 PM

4,239 posts, read 2,464,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Concrete is by far the durable ones.
1: no termites or bugs
2: flame resistance.
3: stronghold.

We have a prison in our town ...built from concrete. Hasn't crumpled yet..been thru 2 major floods...a turbulent underground shake (near sink hole) and it still stands.

One contractor said with that steel and concrete it will outlast another 150 years. It is a beauty.

My dream home will be built with both those materials.
Cool in summer....and sound barrier .
Down sides if it cracks...it's a bugger to completely mend.
The bad thing about concrete is that it ages very poorly. Or at least, that was my impression after spending some time in the Eastern Bloc nations.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
Quote:
The place where I intend to buy my home is not in an earthquake zone, and Earthquakes are very rare. Major earthquakes are unheard of, so the Earthquake risk factor people keep mentioning is largely irrelevant here.
There is also the difficulty of remodeling, should you ever need to. It is much easier to enlarge a door or add a window in the exterior of a frame construction.

Masonry adds to cost. And you might not be able to find a skilled craftsman to do the work.

But it sounds as if you have decided you want brick.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:21 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,209,663 times
Quote:
The bad thing about concrete is that it ages very poorly. Or at least, that was my impression after spending some time in the Eastern Bloc nations.
Not true, concrete ages better than most other building materials and will actually gain in strength for the first 25 years while continuing at a very slower pace for the next 75 years. Studies have been documented by the NCPTT and with all of the new additives that are available today, concrete strengths and water permeability have really benefited.

Using an inadequate sand or aggregate as well as mixing deficiencies will cause the concrete to fail or not hold up as well over time.

If the World Trade Towers were constructed of reinforced concrete, they would still be standing (in-part) today.

The only bad thing about concrete is the cost since there is significant labor and material involved to form it’s shape, otherwise it’s a perfect material for its fire resistance, strength and longevity.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:27 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,442,696 times
Go full masonry instead of brick veneer.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,064,598 times
Quote:

It is more accurate to say that some of the masonry European structures that have survived for centuries. Many others have not.

On the whole, a masonry structure will last longer than a wood frame structure, earthquake damage being an exception. Remodeling has certain challenges, but not insurmountable. Insulation is a similar challenge.

How long do you plan on owning this house? If you think you will own it in the realm of 40-60 years, wood frame is fine. If you plan on owning it for 200+ years, I would go masonry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House