Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 11:05 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,602,524 times

Advertisements

We purchased a home recently. The well water tested high in nitrates (about double recommended levels), although it tastes good, and is not as hard as you'd expect (we do have a water softener, though).

Two possible solutions are either Reverse Osmosis and Ion Exchange. Can you tell me the pros and cons of each?

A few concerns and observations we have:

1. We have a "pot filler" in our kitchen. Even if we get a system large enough to supply the pot filler as well as other sinks to drink from, how do we get HOT water? My wife in particular finds it inconvenient to have to always heat cold/room temp water to boiling.

2. For RO, the "Whole house" systems appear to be expensive, and can corrode other systems.

3. Is there a way to set up a system where the "cold" in each sink faucet is treated water, but the hot, toilets, and showers (as well as external spigots) bypass it, plus maybe have a "hot" to the pot filler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 03:03 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
A softener which has a special nitrate removing resin has been proven to lower nitrate levels throughout the house.

A point of use RO at the kitchen sink with a possible ice maker connection would also be a good solution. The bathrooms would not be nitrate free.

I would not recommend installing a Whole house RO for nitrates. If you had road salt in your well, my advice would be different.

The softener would treat all incoming water. It would be unrealistic to plumb the house to avoid the treated water going anywhere but the sinks.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:00 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The Brits solve the hot water for cooking issue with an electric teakettle. Those have immersion heaters and are surprisingly fast at heating a half gallon of water, especially if it kept filled at room temperatures. They end up being more efficient, as there is no line loss from heated water cooling in pipes.

Skip the whole house RO idea. You could do a resin filter, but I wouldn't get too worried about the occasional drink of the raw water. The nitrate issue is of more concern for kids.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Ion exchange works well - I was involved with a major fried-chicken chain that had areas where the nitrate levels were high enough to discolor the chicken they were prepping for cooking. It was economical and simple to operate. I wouldn't go to the expense and hassle of a whole-house RO system. You can avoid the issue w/the aggressive water caused by the low TDS of the RO, but the costs just don't justify it when you can address it by the ion exchange. And yes - for the record, it's what I've done for over 40 years - so I have some background in it.....

Old 12-18-2019, 03:50 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Ion exchange works well - I was involved with a major fried-chicken chain that had areas where the nitrate levels were high enough to discolor the chicken they were prepping for cooking. It was economical and simple to operate. I wouldn't go to the expense and hassle of a whole-house RO system. You can avoid the issue w/the aggressive water caused by the low TDS of the RO, but the costs just don't justify it when you can address it by the ion exchange. And yes - for the record, it's what I've done for over 40 years - so I have some background in it.....
The issue is most ion exchange systems are junk. I have a graveyard of them that have been ripped out because they don’t work well or stand up to the test of time.

I stand by my original advice of a softener sized for the house, with nitrate resin. A nice Fleck digital valve will last a long time. Low maintenance with the exception of dumping salt into a bribe tank every few months.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:59 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
The issue is most ion exchange systems are junk. I have a graveyard of them that have been ripped out because they don’t work well or stand up to the test of time.

I stand by my original advice of a softener sized for the house, with nitrate resin. A nice Fleck digital valve will last a long time. Low maintenance with the exception of dumping salt into a bribe tank every few months.
That's exactly what I was referring to - a backwashing style unit. I don't call them softeners because they aren't - but if you toss a Fleck Econominder on top of that unit, you're dang near bulletproof. The digital units they sell I'm not a fan of - I've replaced a LOT of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House