Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2020, 03:37 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,758,043 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have the Ring Flood camera installed or another brand and what do you think about the performance? The Ring floodlight cam has some pretty good lumens and the the quality seems nice. Seems like tons of people all over this area have them.

How does it stand up to weather elements - sunlight, oxidation, rain, etc?

Ring Floodlight Camera
https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Floodlig...b-8a79de2d236f
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 11:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
I have six of them. They work great.

I am in Miami, so never exposed to cold, but they are out in the sun, humidity, and rain often enough, so far so good, still look and work like new.

They give you a free 30 day trial for the camera, it is to store and view your recordings. Get the $100/yr subscription, unlimited cameras you can add, and gives 10% discount of Ring products from the Ring website.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:26 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Does anyone here have the Ring Flood camera installed or another brand and what do you think about the performance? The Ring floodlight cam has some pretty good lumens and the the quality seems nice. Seems like tons of people all over this area have them.

How does it stand up to weather elements - sunlight, oxidation, rain, etc?

Ring Floodlight Camera
https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Floodlig...b-8a79de2d236f
Since I had a Ring doorbell, I tried the Ring floodlight also back in 2018. I ended up selling it to a friend, but kept the Ring doorbell. It was up just over a year, and seemed to weather the high altitude temperate Mexico City climate were I lived well enough, with rain every afternoon in the summer.

The floodlight does what it says it will, but has some drawbacks. If you pay for the subscription service (which is not very expensive) the video relies on a good wifi signal to work consistently. I ended up needing to put a wifi range expander on the side of my home so the unit would work correctly. There is quite a bit of lag in the audio for any communication features (like the doorbell), and due to where I had it mounted the communication feature was pretty much worthless to me. I also had lag logging into the live video on when I got an activation. Sometimes the video just hung up, and I can not see it live, although the saved video seemed to record and upload OK.

The lights are bright enough, and the motion detector worked well enough.

Myself, I decided on something completely different. I do not like the weak link of having security camera video reliant on wifi, especially with multiple cameras/lights.

I am going to install 4K direct wired POE cameras (12 in all) with solar charged easy install motion lights at each camera.The POE cameras I will buy already have PIR motion detectors built in. The lights will assist night motion activation events on their own.

I already bought three of the lights, and they work very well, very easy to install, about $20 each.

https://www.amazon.com/LITOM-Optiona.../dp/B07N421RRV

That all said, many folks seem happy with the Ring floodlights, especially if there is already hard wired power where you want the light to go. Wifi seems the potential weak link.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:41 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
I run a mesh system, I get booming signal even out from my home a ways.

Wifi is the often neglected and complained about issue with wifi things like cameras. To work optimally, it needs a strong signal, or you will just encounter issues.

Hardwired systems of course are the best, but he flood light cam is a great plug and play if you already got like an old flood light there. If a person has to run wires, might as well be for what above said, a hardwired camera system, you can still get all the remote viewing stuff like Ring and others offer, but it will record to a DVR and is independent of the wifi except for remote viewing.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:15 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,578,618 times
Pretty much what folks above said. We have two of them. One works consistently well and the other which is a little further from our WiFi base was having issues so we got an extender and so far so good. We have had 1 for about 3 years and the other for just over a year and both are weathering fine. They are both exposed to the elements and I am in CT so fluctuation in temperatures. I think the video quality is good and overall I have been happy with them. I will likely get a 3rd one (without the floodlights) for the front of the house at some point, but am waiting for a sale!

Old 08-21-2020, 10:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Get the $100/yr subscription, unlimited cameras you can add, and gives 10% discount of Ring products from the Ring website.
Also, if you use Ring cameras, the Ring doorbell and also the Ring monitored security system all together it's still only $100 a year. A huge value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House