Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 01:43 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,206,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Multiple people live in the home?
...which means if it's locked, it's by someone inside the house.

Old joke that can't really be told any more: Didja hear about the [stupid ethnic characterization here]? He locked his keys in the car and it took him twenty minutes with a coathanger to get his family out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 01:46 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,691,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
...which means if it's locked, it's by someone inside the house.

Old joke that can't really be told any more: Didja hear about the [stupid ethnic characterization here]? He locked his keys in the car and it took him twenty minutes with a coathanger to get his family out.
? Person A leaves the house, doesn’t lock it because person B is still home. Person B then leaves the house not realizing that person A didn’t bring a key and locks it. How is this hard to get? My mom regularly just goes around the corner to chat with someone and then my dad will go out to do something like get a hair cut, lock the doors, and not realize my mom didn’t bring a key. They do have the garage door keypad though.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
? Person A leaves the house, doesn’t lock it because person B is still home. Person B then leaves the house not realizing that person A didn’t bring a key and locks it. How is this hard to get?
Not hard, when you expand it past a vague notion.

The vast number of door/deadbolt keys are the same (for good or bad), but even then I have trouble seeing a situation where one household member would have a door key for one and not the other.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:01 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,347,816 times
OK, I guess people who don't have the idea of locking the door when they go out and carrying a key could get caught that way.

Simple solution: adopt standard behavior of city dwellers - lock the door and take the key with you when you leave the house.

There, wasn't that simple and inexpensive?

Old 08-21-2020, 02:01 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How on earth do you lock yourself out with a deadbolt? It requires a key to lock it.

It's actually quite easy thanks to "egress locksets" (yes, lockset not deadbolt). You can open the door from the interior side but the lock remains "locked". Close the door- and you're locked out.

When these became code- I had H/O's calling me/flag me down in jp's and a robe constantly to unlock their door (during construction I have a master key). Sorry! Once you put your key in the door my master key no-longer works.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:09 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,147,668 times
Quote:
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

I work in a building with tons of electrically actuated door locks and malfunctions are pretty frequent.

How do they do when your house settles a bit and it gets hard to get the bolt in and out? Do they just keep trying till the wee solenoid burns out, or do they give up and leave you locked or unlocked?

What happens when you lose wifi connection to them? What happens in a power failure? If battery operated, what happens when the battery runs down?

I think I'm going to stick with deadbolts with inner knobs that I turn. Somehow I am still able to check the three doors on my house each night before I go to bed. Look at the knob, up and down it's locked, horizontal it's not.

We have housekeeper that used to come once a week with covid we currently stopped that service but eventually will restart it. It's much simpler to have smart lock that can be programmed to accept the code on this specific day of the week between this hours compare to me actually being home and/or giving the housekeeper the key. Reason why i am looking to install smart lock

Old 08-21-2020, 02:56 PM

177 posts, read 126,780 times
I already had some Nest products in my VRBO/ABB house, so I got their door locks.

https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_x_yale_lock

Allows me to assign codes to Housekeeper, handy man, each individual renter, etc... Can limit the timeframe the code is valid and alerts me when a code is used. Very helpful when I live 1200 miles away from the rental.

Quote:
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

I work in a building with tons of electrically actuated door locks and malfunctions are pretty frequent.

How do they do when your house settles a bit and it gets hard to get the bolt in and out? Do they just keep trying till the wee solenoid burns out, or do they give up and leave you locked or unlocked?

Kind of like any other deadbolt, you adjust the strike/plate/door to ensure the lock functions smoothly. If the door is not closed fully the lock tries a few times, gives up, and sends an alert.

What happens when you lose wifi connection to them? All programmed codes and such are valid regardless. Only thing I need wifi for is remote programming, seeing real time status, or remotely locking/unlocking.
What happens in a power failure? Battery powered
If battery operated, what happens when the battery runs down? It gives plenty of warning but if I ignored it, there is a pair of contacts on bottom that allow the lock to be powered up with a 9v that I keep on top of the door frame.

I think I'm going to stick with deadbolts with inner knobs that I turn. Somehow I am still able to check the three doors on my house each night before I go to bed. Look at the knob, up and down it's locked, horizontal it's not.

'Can't argue with that. I don't have one in the house I live in, and really don't feel the need to switch.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
Allows me to assign codes to Housekeeper, handy man, each individual renter, etc... Can limit the timeframe the code is valid and alerts me when a code is used. Very helpful when I live 1200 miles away from the rental.

'Can't argue with that. I don't have one in the house I live in, and really don't feel the need to switch.
So substandard security you can open to anyone is okay for your tenants, but not you.

Got it.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:02 PM

177 posts, read 126,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
So substandard security you can open to anyone is okay for your tenants, but not you.

Got it.

Sorry, don't understand what you just said there.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
Sorry, don't understand what you just said there.
I'm unsurprised. Most investment landlords are baffled by other people's needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House