Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2020, 12:45 PM

380 posts, read 1,114,050 times

Advertisements

I am new to homebuilding and was hoping to save money on a home by buying a lot of land and putting a prefab home on it in British Columbia.

Any existing home for sale that doesn't need extensive work on it appears to be minimum 650,000 CAD.

I heard from a modular prefab company that they build all in for 295/sqf okay fine their stuff looks sorta tacky but w/ the right tweaks could be nice enough...well now I find out once they actually INSTALL the house and deal with the site, put up decks, etc one is looking at up to 450/sqf.

Are stick homes cheaper? I have heard from one builder that quoted me in an email at 230-250/sqf but I'm sure that's w/out appliances and I'm not sure if that includes all the foundation, design, etc all in cost or not.

I am sick of renting a 500 sq foot place but seems like I'm stuck in one unless the economy collapses and somehow I can sell my stocks before it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
You'd have to ask the builder what's included. Don't forget the site development costs, like roads, electric, water, sewer, land clearing, etc. You'll have those costs whether you go with modular or site built.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:32 PM

380 posts, read 1,114,050 times
Yeah this particular lot is in a subdivision of sorts where they have put in the road, and have utilities there to be plugged into.

But do you have a general sense on cost of stick homes vs modular homes..I assumed modular would be cheaper but it doesn't look that way.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:13 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
First, exchange rate between USD and the Loonie is .76. $250/sf might be USD?

Second, do you know what differences there are between Canadian codes and U.S. codes on each type of construction? Are there some "gotchas?" I have no clue there.

Site prep can be a big cost, but it looks like most of yours will be limited to constructing a basement and hookup. Yes, that can cost. You have to have footers below frost line, floor and walls and it all match the needs of what you put on top. Soil type can be an issue, etc. IMO, only someone who does work in the are can give you an intelligent ballpark cost.

Back when my real estate developer neighbor and I were talking, his general rule was that for similar square footage, modular would be 2/3 the cost of stick built. That is full modular and total outlay with foundation, not manufactured, which is cheaper. Low end modular and decent manufactured housing can have a lot of visual similarities and commonalities.

However, with any costs and comparisons, a lot depends upon the area and what common construction techniques are. Example: in south Florida every builder understands concrete block/stucco and builds with it. Brick? Not so much, but in North Alabama the reverse is true. Costs vary accordingly.

I suspect that the modular salesman may be shining you on, but that is just a W.A.G. I am curious what others have to say, as that area is one I'm completely unfamiliar with and my perceptions could be wrong.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:44 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
You are requesting an answer to a question that has lots of variables. I have experienced situations where a modular Home was more cost effective than a stick built while the prefab was the most expensive way to build.

The specific location of the building lot, accessibility, and adjacent structures or overhead utilities, along with the location of the modular company, can be vary wildly and those factor might rule out a modular. Once you’ve determined a modular is not possible, than you can compare prefab building to a stick built home.

Also, site work, utilities and foundation work will all be priced according to the specific site and contractors who will furnish prices.

There is not way to predict in advance, what type of construction will be the most cost effective way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House