Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 07:11 PM

581 posts, read 1,306,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Getting back to the kitchens that I'm seeing "out in the wild"....The ones that don't have stainless appliances are either on the far low end such as rentals, are homes that belong to those are in the fifty-plus age group and/or not interested in the latest and greatest in kitchen styles, are vintage/hip revival (think brightly colored refrigerators), or are super high end, with the latter having one of the newer finishes or enameled AGA or La Cornue-type ranges.
But what about a fifty-plus owner's kitchen last renovated in 2002 with stainless and granite.
Outdated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,295,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Not really. Apparently, stainless steel and granite are still considered current, unlike avocado green kitchens in 1995.
yes, really.

You have shown that you are unaware that stainless appliances have been popular for decades, they are not some short lived trend that now looks dated decades after anyone stopped buying them and long after they were routinely available for sale

In other words, you are comparing apples and oranges but claiming they are the same thing because it fits your preconceived bias

The reality is that 20 year old kitchens look 20 years old. The choice of materials is only one aspect of that. There are dated looking stainless appliances, there are modern ones too. Just like there are more modern black or white appliances and ones that are 20 years old and look dated

Old 10-15-2020, 09:51 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,392,062 times
Meh. I put in a new kitchen in 2010 and went with white Corian, slab blonde maple cabinets, white appliances, and old school oak flooring I used throughout the remodel. If I’d been remotely concerned about resale, I would have used quartz and stainless. It’s a small kitchen and a north-facing casement window at the sink. I think white works better. The only person I need to please is me.

I shoehorned a U-shaped kitchen into a space a foot too narrow. I recessed a countertop depth French door fridge, dishwasher, and a lower cabinet into the wall. The dishwasher is opposite the range. If you open the dishwasher and oven door at the same time, they overlap by 6”. The countertop on that side is 20”. White creates more illusion of space.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:01 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,814,979 times
Have kitchen remodel style trends stayed frozen for last 20 years ?

No.

Although some items, like granite, are still with us, they have been modified so that they rarely resemble the granite of old. And then there's the new products like quartz, as mentioned. I've been doing kitchen builds for the past 20 years, and can tell you with certainty that there is little resemblance. Appliances, electrical innovations, layout, cabinet design. etc are all vastly different

Old 10-16-2020, 09:59 AM

15,643 posts, read 26,328,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Can you post examples photo?

Can you explain ?
Kitchen theory uses a work triangle from the fridge to the stove to the sink.

The range top is smack dab next to the fridge. That means if you have to get more than three or four items from the refrigerator, you’re going to have to put them on the stove. And if you’re cooking dinner, you’re probably using the stove. It’s really a badly laid out kitchen.

And having a stove right next to a refrigerator, or a wall, means a whole lot more cleaning than you want because of splatters and no elbow room to move. I know this for a fact because dummy me did it. I put the stove right next to the wall.

But honestly, the kitchen should be workable for the person who is using it. And if that kitchen is working for somebody then who am I to complain. By the way my preference is white appliances and I’ll tell you why. I like them more retro look to things and white appliances look a little retro. I hate that we have to justify our decisions on what we want. If you want granite, get granite. If I want funky laminate countertops I’m getting them. But I’m still gonna judge all white kitchens because EEWW!

And yes, styles change and trends change because the people that sell that stuff need to convince us to buy new stuff. If you find something that can actually make my kitchen work better then we’ll talk. Granite countertops do not make my workspace work better. Stainless steel appliances do not work better than white or God forbid — bisque. I’m not sure they even make bisque anymore.

The latest thing that has come to my kitchen in the past five years has been my old cutting board that was ready to be tossed. My husband looked at it and stuck it over the sink, not unlike what they do in RVs. The dishrack holds it steady. That cutting board has been the best thing that happened in my kitchen in five years. It makes doling out cat breakfast 1000 times easier. It’s a great holding space for bowls as I cut fruit for breakfast into the sink. I hate to say it, my late husband was brilliant.

And I get why people don’t like laminate countertops, if you go to a Big Box store. But if you actually went to a place that sold laminate countertops you would see that it’s not the same dull 15 patterns that Home Depot has. And you can probably tell if they have more at this point that I haven’t looked for countertops in 20 years. I don’t particularly like the fake stone laminate.

But honestly, there are some amazing looking laminates out there. When we were looking, there was a great Italian laminate that was cream colored with little tiny olives and little tiny martini glasses, it was just adorable. I could totally see that on a wet bar. And I also found out that you could have a laminate created. So for a game room wet bar, you could have your family crest done on the laminate and put onto a countertop. Four someone who’s into breed of dogs they could have a dog washroom, and have their breed of dogs on the laminate.

I am very pro laminate. There’s a very good high quality furniture made specifically for sewers and quilters called Koala Cabinets. They use laminate. And there’s a reason to use it. It lasts. I had a Koala Cabinet for years. It did not fit the new sewing machine. I cheaped out and got a lesser quality cabinet and discovered the top is not laminate. I figured that out when I scratched the living daylights out of it, cutting from the rear using snips. The thread snip tip was grazing the top and now there’s lines worn in. I made that move for years on my Koala, and not a mark.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 10-16-2020 at 10:21 AM..

Old 10-17-2020, 08:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,682,520 times
I would have to say YES to the OPs question, from what I see, we are stuck in this trend that really became popular around the early to mid 2000s.

But I also see this in so many other areas today, clothing/fashion trends are pretty much the same today as they were in the early 2000s! Hairstyles are the same way too. I can honestly say, if I wore the clothes I wore today, and the hairstyle I have today and jumped into a time machine..back to 2001...I would fit in perfectly, no one would look at me odd, I dont think I would stick out at all!

Its weird, if you look at other time frames in the past, there was DISTINCT differences, across relatively short number of years, for example, the 50s and 60s, 70s and 80s, 90s and 2000s...we seem to be 'stuck' in the most recent trends, (early to mid 2000s).

Old 10-17-2020, 08:59 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,382,272 times
I like that kitchen except for the stove right next to the refrigerator. People waste so much money trying to keep up with current trends that it has become shameful. Who cares if your kitchen appears "dated"? If you like it and it's functional don't worry about it.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:00 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,295,807 times
I got what was supposedly high quality laminate when I built my house 6 years ago. And it admittedly looks great, a calacatta marble pattern that at first glance looks like the real thing (it was an upcharge to get this pattern).

But under normal usage, it has not held up well at all. It's got cuts, stains and water damage around the sink and above the dishwasher. The cuts were admittedly my kid's fault for not using a cutting board, but still, he was just doing basic food cutting with a normal kitchen knife and didn't remember to use a cutting board.

I will be replacing with quartz or maybe even granite if I happen to find a slab I love sometime in the next couple of years. And in reality, I went with laminate because I didn't like the quartz and granite patterns offered by the builder or I would have picked one of those from the start. But at least for me, I cannot recommend laminate because it just has not held up the way it should.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:55 AM

15,643 posts, read 26,328,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I got what was supposedly high quality laminate when I built my house 6 years ago. And it admittedly looks great, a calacatta marble pattern that at first glance looks like the real thing (it was an upcharge to get this pattern).

But under normal usage, it has not held up well at all. It's got cuts, stains and water damage around the sink and above the dishwasher. The cuts were admittedly my kid's fault for not using a cutting board, but still, he was just doing basic food cutting with a normal kitchen knife and didn't remember to use a cutting board.

I will be replacing with quartz or maybe even granite if I happen to find a slab I love sometime in the next couple of years. And in reality, I went with laminate because I didn't like the quartz and granite patterns offered by the builder or I would have picked one of those from the start. But at least for me, I cannot recommend laminate because it just has not held up the way it should.
I can’t remember what it specifically was, but my husband did manage to leave a nice stain on our laminate. I got it out by rubbing with baking soda paste, and that was that. But I am interested in the damage done by the dishwasher.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of laminate being damaged by the dishwasher. My next house will have a dishwasher, and if I’m redoing the kitchen I am very interested in the damage that the dishwasher can do.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:58 AM

17,726 posts, read 29,941,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I will be replacing with quartz or maybe even granite
1. Search on "quartz that looks like marble".

2. Better than quartz — https://www.dekton.com/usa/colors/

3. Almost child proof (and very trendy) — https://www.daltile.com/trend-hub/de...elain-surfaces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House