Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 05:38 AM

6,368 posts, read 4,196,292 times

Advertisements

Both gas and electric have their pros and cons and in order to use each one effectively, you do need to be familiar with each and have a little patience before being skilled at using an electric stove since there are a few inherent differences.

Gas stoves are definitely preferred in commercial kitchens and most chefs have been trained using them, however, I’ve know a few chefs who have actually had electric stoves in their own home for certain conveniences that they’ve preferred over gas.

When cooking with electric, you just need to do things slightly different than you would on a gas stove in order to accomplish the same result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 07:14 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have gas for now, but either is okay with me

Now if you lose power and need to cook, you can still use your gas stove.

Also think lots of folks are worried that it might explode or something.
That's called BBQ

Old 11-01-2020, 07:32 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Gas can be more difficult to control for low heat situations. Also, newer gas appliances require power to operate, unlike older ones that have a pilot that is continuously burning.

I've cooked with both over the years as well as induction, and I prefer electric. Newer electric ranges will heat quite rapidly and with a glass cooktop cleanup is far easier.

RM
You can still light the burner with a match or one of those clicky things - if the power goes out.

Now you can't use the oven

Old 11-01-2020, 08:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
This house was built with multiple energy systems in mind. Gas for the stove but electricity for the microwave. I suppose if one wanted to go all electric, they might see it as they don't have to worry about where the power comes from, that's what the power company is paid to do. Me, that's not my thinking.

But, this is the ranch, it was built with redundancy in mind and that is why there is a gas stove. Maybe other people in other places have different thinking when it comes to how to cook their food.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:11 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This house was built with multiple energy systems in mind. Gas for the stove but electricity for the microwave. I suppose if one wanted to go all electric, they might see it as they don't have to worry about where the power comes from, that's what the power company is paid to do. Me, that's not my thinking.

But, this is the ranch, it was built with redundancy in mind and that is why there is a gas stove. Maybe other people in other places have different thinking when it comes to how to cook their food.
Millions of people across all parts of the country have both gas and electric service, it's not that special.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Millions of people across all parts of the country have both gas and electric service, it's not that special.

The ranch is quite a bit more redundant, multiple power sourced, than that.......I was just keeping the points short to the subject at hand.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:18 AM

24,596 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Dual fuel here. I have never had an issue with low heat.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:28 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
I have gas for now, but either is okay with me

Now if you lose power and need to cook, you can still use your gas stove.

Also think lots of folks are worried that it might explode or something.
^^This^^ I grew up with electric and the few times I lived in a house with a gas range I was always afraid to turn it on. Hearing about gas explosions in houses also gives me pause. I'm content with my electric appliances.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
......... I'm content with my electric appliances.
This, too, may be part of it. There are very few electric appliances in my kitchen. Aside from the microwave, that's it. Even the coffee is made in a pot on the stove top.

If one, however, has lots of electrical appliances, especially every labor saving gadget you can think of, then maybe accepting the electric stove is just one more thing.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:09 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
No power = No heat.
You're not getting heat with a gas-fired furnace, either, because electricity is required to run the fan.

Quote:
You can still light the burner with a match or one of those clicky things - if the power goes out.

Now you can't use the oven
Clicky things?

Some gas-fired ovens have a way to light with a match. I had one, but it was very old - the burners had pilot lights, but the oven did not. Not sure about modern gas ovens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
There are very few electric appliances in my kitchen.
Those aren't the kind of appliances we're talking about. The topic is a gas vs. electric stove/range, which drifted into discussions about gas vs. electric for the water heater, dryer, central heat source. I've never seen a gas-fired microwave ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House