Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 08:28 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter to me - I can cook equally well on either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 08:35 PM

19,531 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
I am currently looking at condos, and most have electric ovens and ranges. Many have the option to go gas. I looked at a unit today, and asked the realtor why people choose electric when gas is an option, and he shrugged and said he thought it was personal preference.

I have lived with gas my entire life, until about 6 yrs ago when I started renting this apt, which is elec. I can still cook, don't get me wrong, but I much prefer gas. It seems easier to control the heat, and the burners seem more steady/stable.

Those who prefer electric - why?
For the same reason you prefer gas - why? Have you not heard of gas xplosions? Gas leaks and gas poisoning because of those gas leaks? Maybe some people just are used to electric.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:26 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
An loud and deadly explosion in some neighborhood............yeah, that
is usually gas.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:09 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Electric, really no difference in quality of cooking. Gas is smelly, dangerously scary. In our area alone in the past 2 years there have been about a 8 gas explosions and lost their homes.
Not worth the hassle.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:19 AM

20,671 posts, read 4,436,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Safer
Easier
Cleaner

There are disadvantages too
No power = No heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not me. I prefer gas stove.
When the power goes out, no electric cooking appliances. But the trusty gas range is working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
The home we be bought in August has a gas range. It is ok, but the oven takes forever to heat up and the stovetop cooks crazy fast even at the lowest flame, you cannot turn your back on it.

I don't like it at all!
It sounds like the oven needs a deeper cleaning. But it definitely needs to be serviced, or replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have gas for now, but either is okay with me

Now if you lose power and need to cook, you can still use your gas stove.

Also think lots of folks are worried that it might explode or something.
Those explosions that were in the news a couple years ago were caused by the gas companies. The didn't have the pressure adjusted properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
When i lived in Florida all they had was electric everything were i lived. Now I’m back in metro Detroit and gas is everywhere. I’m using gas now because it’s cheaper than electric. Electric is great for baking imo. But I’ll take a gas hot water heater and gas dryer over electric any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
For the same reason you prefer gas - why? Have you not heard of gas explosions? Gas leaks and gas poisoning because of those gas leaks? Maybe some people just are used to electric.
Those explosions that were in the news a couple years ago were caused by the gas companies. The didn't have the pressure adjusted properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Electric, really no difference in quality of cooking. Gas is smelly, dangerously scary. In our area alone in the past 2 years there have been about a 8 gas explosions and lost their homes. Not worth the hassle.
The gas typically doesn't have a smell. What smell it has is added for your safety. IE: If you smell gas coming from you stove the pilots may be out. If they are not out, you may have a leak. That needs to checked my a professional.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:26 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
My new apartment has an electric glass smooth top cooking range. Once you get used to the power settings, it is pretty good to use. The main thing is to avoid things boiling over and burning / sticking to the hot smooth glass surface. After the surface cools, I always clean it with a damp cloth and wipe it off dry.

The apartment building has no natural gas. The wall radiators for heating use hot water fed from a common basement boiler, which is heated by a connection from a city-wide pressurized steam pipe system. That steam pipe system also heats up the hot tap water boiler for the building. It is a great combination that means there is much less to maintain in the building heating and plumbing systems.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
I’ve used electric coil, electric glass top, electric induction and gas over my lifetime.

For boiling water I prefer induction.

For simmering and frying I prefer gas.

Old 11-01-2020, 04:07 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
Gas can be more difficult to control for low heat situations. Also, newer gas appliances require power to operate, unlike older ones that have a pilot that is continuously burning.

I've cooked with both over the years as well as induction, and I prefer electric. Newer electric ranges will heat quite rapidly and with a glass cooktop cleanup is far easier.

RM

Old 11-01-2020, 04:55 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,072,030 times
My kitchen is very small and the electric stove is placed next to a window. I can't have a gas stove there because a gas stove can't be put next to the window (code violation). I would have to demolish the entire room and put the gas stove somewhere else but then there's no way to vent it.

I don't care about the cooking differences. The job gets done.

I travelled extensively through 3 countries in Europe staying in Airbnbs and no one had a gas stove. In fact, no one had ovens. They all had electric cooktops. Which were absolutely fine for regular use. In the big scheme of things, I could live with any setup if I had to. Due to the size of my kitchen I was thinking of converting the stove to an electric cooktop and using the space for a dishwasher but decided to keep the stove.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:19 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
The home we be bought in August has a gas range. It is ok, but the oven takes forever to heat up and the stovetop cooks crazy fast even at the lowest flame, you cannot turn your back on it.

I don't like it at all!
Sounds exactly like my stove. I think the old gas stoves were better, then the new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House