Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 01:59 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,360,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You can’t have that type of configuration in bedrooms- think “emergency egress”. There you could do double hungs- just lower the upper sash.

Other windows could be “awning” type. They could be made to look like a double hung, but the bottom sash is fixed and the upper swings out being hinged at the top. Just remember, the look is one thing- the operation can be many. And I certainly wouldn’t have chosen aluminum framed windows for a desert climate unless the house had huge/deep soffits that kept direct sun off of them.
Great point. One I've been nervous about since the guest bedroom has these non-opening windows. I keep a metal floor lamp in there to break the window.
I have some overhang but nothing stops this heat. I've had people say "these block walls must keep it cool in the summer". Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 07:31 PM

Purchase price will probably be about $7K. I'm wondering if it would be worth the investment as far as resale.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:45 PM

37,702 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Purchase price will probably be about $7K. I'm wondering if it would be worth the investment as far as resale.
I am spending about that much on my replacement windows and that includes installation. Okna windows. I only have 13 though. Not doing it for resale as I don't plan on moving. But since my old windows are wood, and many are degrading now - I am over it. I've repaired and replaced over the years but I am tired of maintaining wood windows.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:37 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,195,776 times
Quote:

“Purchase price...$7k”? Does that mean you have already picked the windows; or is that your budget? Just throwing a number out there doesn’t really mean squat unless there a quantity and if that includes installation- though you did say you have someone installing (are you paying him)?

By your OP I count maybe 13 units(?)- so 7 grand divided by 13...

I look at “investment” this way-
There are certain things that are assumed to come with a house- like windows/doors, etc. Same as a car- you expect that it will come with wheels and tires- what good is a car without wheels and tires? What good is a house without windows and doors? The quality of those items is a different matter all together. And since you mentioned the- what I would consider inferior- construction of this dwelling, I probably wouldn’t put a lot of money into the windows.

Having a superior window filling a hole in an inferior wall doesn’t make a superior house. In fact, it just makes a great window a fair window. So, just buy a fair window and call it a day. If you spend more than $250.00/window installed, you probably spent too much.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 01-15-2021 at 07:49 AM..

Old 01-15-2021, 10:28 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,381,917 times
Quote:
Window replacement is not really going to increase the $ value of your house. It's maintenance. That said it removes a potential buyer objection, old windows, to your house.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:02 PM

$7K is a rough estimate on purchase price. My contractor guy is probably on the same page as you KB.
I've got so much else to get done. I appreciate the candor.

Homes are selling like wildfire right now with so much construction on base.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Homes are selling like wildfire right now with so much construction on base.

Is that Edwards?
That “wildfire” will probably start getting smothered with the new administration. So, if you’re thinking about selling- don’t think too long.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:24 AM

No. China Lake. Earthquake repair for probably the next 5 years. Contracts have been awarded.

I love this house so much (the inferior construction comment almost hurt my feelings). I could never go the cheap window route. I haven't been here a year. But there's a potential career opportunity elsewhere.

I might just finish up my smaller projects and see how things play out.

It's a potential triplex.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
No. China Lake. Earthquake repair for probably the next 5 years. Contracts have been awarded.
Well, we are talking US government...

Old 01-16-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well, we are talking US government...
My supervisor thinks the market will peak in about 3yrs.
One coworker transferred but bought a second house before he left and now has 2 rentals.

I'm torn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House