Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 11:26 AM
KCZ

4,682 posts, read 3,682,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Honestly I think the last 20 years has seen no actual advance in countertop technology, just a bunch of stuff driven by fashion rather than function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Granite is damn near indestructible. It won't discolor, scorch, scratch, nothing. I would totally go with granite if I liked the look of it.

You both speak the truth. Granite is nearly indestructible, and comes in a lot of colors, many of which are cheaper than the other options discussed here. It's just not fashionable now, so people are looking at impractical things like giant pieces of porcelain, more expensive things like quartz, easily damaged things like marble, high end plastics like solid-surface and upgraded laminates, and high maintenance stuff like butcher block. Then something new will come along in a few years and people will jump all over that even if it confers no actual improvement in function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 11:59 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Quote:
........I thought they were quartz. If I could find a quartz counter like that, I'd jump on it. .......

Buy one of the tiles and take it to quartz fabricator and see if he can match it. There will be many more styles available than he can keep in stock in his store.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:01 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,445,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Buy one of the tiles and take it to quartz fabricator and see if he can match it. There will be many more styles available than he can keep in stock in his store.
I thought about it. But they were big slabs and I honestly didn't feel like trying to heave it in and out of my car. I'm sure I couldn't even budge it on my own.

We'll see what happens tomorrow when I go look. I have appointments at 3 different places. All have big slab yards, as well as quartz and such. I may just see something perfect and that will be that.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:38 PM

UPDATE - Went and looked today. Saw a quartz I really liked and a Quartzite I really liked. I will say that I do like the Quartzite slightly more. Waiting to hear pricing from my fabricator. If the Quartzite is not that much more expensive, I'll probably go with that. But I don't like it so much more that I'm willing to spend thousands more for it.

I also asked about porcelain. I saw some slabs and it is really nice. You would never guess that it's porcelain. I was told by more than one place is that although the top is incredibly strong and durable (i.e. it's pretty impossible to crack or chip it), the front can chip. It's basically a skirt, since the slabs aren't that thick. Apparently, you can chip that skirt if something hits it, like a pot or more likely if / when you have to replace a dishwasher or something. That was enough to steer me away. Really does look great, though.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:03 AM

ANOTHER UPDATE: Went with Quartz! The Quartzite they had was really beautiful, but I didn't love it enough to pay the premium. There were 2 quartzes that I liked. Honestly, they looked almost identical. But the one I liked slightly better was on some kind of special and was the least expensive option. The quartzite was $2800 more. And to my surprise, the other quartz was the most expensive option, even more than the quartzite.

I'm getting really excited! I've wanted to remodel this kitchen for a decade. Just waiting for our cabinets to come in. Scheduled start is in a month!

Old 01-25-2021, 06:18 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
You both speak the truth. Granite is nearly indestructible, and comes in a lot of colors, many of which are cheaper than the other options discussed here. It's just not fashionable now, so people are looking at impractical things like giant pieces of porcelain, more expensive things like quartz, easily damaged things like marble, high end plastics like solid-surface and upgraded laminates, and high maintenance stuff like butcher block. Then something new will come along in a few years and people will jump all over that even if it confers no actual improvement in function.
The problem with granite is that the patterns/colors were so awful - I never cared for granite, even when it was considered "cool" - horribly busy, splotchy and "dotty". And I am not alone - most people I talk to about counters never loved the look of it - they just liked the material itself. Now, many years later, I have seen just a few granites that IF I had wanted dark counters, I could have lived with. I have seen a couple of white ones that are not bad - but that's just seeing them online. You can't go by that of course you have to see them in person. But most granites and "light airy calm" kitchens generally don't mix. Today, the heavy dark kitchens of yesterday - well, most people no longer want them. They are just oppressive. And so SO busy.

It's not just that quartz is NEW, it's that it offers a new look that people love instead of the old mostly-ugly patterns of granite. Marble has always offered that "calm" vibe - but you have to live with the patina, or be really careful, or do frequent maintenance. Quartz requires no maintenance. Kind of a no-brainer why it is so popular.

As for some new granites that I could love in my own kitchen - looking online, thunder white is a possibility, but it would have to be the right slab. I never saw any granites that look anything like this when I was searching for my own counters - this certainly would have been a contender. But other pictures still have the garnet confetti that so much of the granites have. And that is what most of us don't want.
This one looks good. https://stoneshowcase.net/product/thunder-white/
But this is also thunder white - and no way would I want this: https://www.precisionstonedesigns.co...thunder-white/

Here is a great site showing how slab yards categorize their slabs. I don't think I've ever seen this many levels before LOL, but as you can see, the really stunning quartzites are all at the highest price point. A lot of quartzes are just below that - all very light, very much "quiet" patterns.

http://www.cdgranite.com/choosing-a-stone/stone-colors/

Last edited by ChessieMom; 01-25-2021 at 06:53 AM..

Old 01-25-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
ANOTHER UPDATE: Went with Quartz! The Quartzite they had was really beautiful, but I didn't love it enough to pay the premium. There were 2 quartzes that I liked. Honestly, they looked almost identical. But the one I liked slightly better was on some kind of special and was the least expensive option. The quartzite was $2800 more. And to my surprise, the other quartz was the most expensive option, even more than the quartzite.

I'm getting really excited! I've wanted to remodel this kitchen for a decade. Just waiting for our cabinets to come in. Scheduled start is in a month!
Awesome!! What quartz did you go with?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:48 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,247,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Here is a great site showing how slab yards categorize their slabs. I don't think I've ever seen this many levels before LOL, but as you can see, the really stunning quartzites are all at the highest price point. A lot of quartzes are just below that - all very light, very much "quiet" patterns.

Granite Countertop Colors | Minneapolis, Brainerd, St Cloud, Richmond | C&D Granite
I went to a yard that had all those levels like that, and of course everything I fell in love with was in the "exotic/ask for pricing" category! lolol!

also curious what CarnivalGal ended up picking

Old 01-25-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Awesome!! What quartz did you go with?
Vicostone Monterosa. BTW, it's actually a little darker and more "greige" than the gray it looks in the link.

https://us.vicostone.com/en/quartz-stone/BQ2607

Old 01-25-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Vicostone Monterosa. BTW, it's actually a little darker and more "greige" than the gray it looks in the link.

https://us.vicostone.com/en/quartz-stone/BQ2607
Very nice! I looked at Vicostone too, when I was choosing. They seem like a good brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House