Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 03:30 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,659,481 times

Advertisements

Like many homes in my area, the crawl space is not insulated but we would like to get it insulated. I know the termite companies do not recommend using batting insulation. Is spray foam the best option? Any other options we should look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 05:30 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
Encapsulation!

Old 02-20-2021, 06:24 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
What are the problems with spray foam?

Old 02-20-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Encapsulation!
Thanks, I think I've heard of this before, not sure if any local companies do it but I'll look into it.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What are the problems with spray foam?
I don't think there are any problems with it at all, just wondering what other options besides spray foam are there.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:20 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I know the termite companies do not recommend using batting insulation.
I think you have that backwards- spray foam on the sills and band can hide termite activity- if you have batts they can be easily re/moved for inspection. Encapsulation is using foam- it’s just applied in a very direct manner with stringent criteria along with a vapor barrier/sealed perimeter/circulated air/and an entirely exposed floor system- in very layman terms.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:50 AM

4,611 posts, read 6,388,293 times
There are two types of spray foam. Each has advantages/disadvantages, choose accordingly.

Open cell foam can soak up water, much like a sponge.

Closed cell foam is what I have in my crawl space encapsulation, and on the under roof deck of the attic....it seals cracks (blocks air transfer) as well as providing an R value of about 7 per inch of applied foam, and does not soak up water. Both my crawl space and attic have become semi-conditioned space, within the whole house envelope, with the goal of encapsulating the basement at some point for total encapsulation.

Buyer’s Guide to Insulation: Spray Foam

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-21-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
I would like to point out something about insulation.

The idea behind insulation is to keep the heat from escaping. You see heat goes from hot to cold and not the other way around.

You can't keep the cold out unless there is some heat there to begin with.

Eventually the insulation will freeze and all you will have is a giant filter.

You see that's the idea behind insulating a hot water pipe. It keeps the heat from escaping into the air and even a cold water pipe has some heat in it or it would freeze. So insulate that as well.

But the whole crawl space? If you are going to insulate it try to provide some type of heat like an electrical heat cable connected to a thermostat and block any cracks you can see to prevent the heat from escaping.
What would you recommend? We don't have any cracks that I know of, but it's just subfloor and then wood floor on top of that. In the crawl space is the pressure tank for the well and plumbing. No hvac under there. We use heat cables to keep pipes from freezing and use a halogen light and sometimes space heater for the pressure tank.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:43 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,579,388 times
What are you hoping to accomplish by insulating? Do you want to create a conditioned space to address wood flooring issues or for storage use? Are there mold or moisture concerns?

In general, batt insulation doesn't do well in a crawl space. If it's up under the floor it can hold moisture, which causes rot and mold. It can also harbor insects and rodents.

Closed cell spray foam is a much better option. The choice is whether to do the perimeter walls or just under the floor above.

Encapsulation includes covering the dirt floor with an impervious liner and sealing foundation vents as well. It's the gold standard (both in performance and price), and may also require a dehumidifier and/or sump pump depending on the local conditions.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
What are you hoping to accomplish by insulating? Do you want to create a conditioned space to address wood flooring issues or for storage use? Are there mold or moisture concerns?

In general, batt insulation doesn't do well in a crawl space. If it's up under the floor it can hold moisture, which causes rot and mold. It can also harbor insects and rodents.

Closed cell spray foam is a much better option. The choice is whether to do the perimeter walls or just under the floor above.

Encapsulation includes covering the dirt floor with an impervious liner and sealing foundation vents as well. It's the gold standard (both in performance and price), and may also require a dehumidifier and/or sump pump depending on the local conditions.
The main thing we are wanting to accomplish is being able to heat the home better. or hold the heat in better in very cold weather. It's a cedar log home, footprint is 1300 sq ft split level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House