Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 09:00 PM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have the desk in the image below. I want to hide the cables as much as possible so I will have a metal "basket" on the back side of the shelf to hold the power strip, excess cable, etc. My question is, I'm going to drill a grommet in top of the desk at the front corner, which is right above the shelf. The shelf is about 5" deep. I'm going to drill a second hole in the back of the shelf to pass the cords from the top of the desk to the back where the cord basket will be located.

My question is, what would you use to hide the cords and holes? I was thinking something simple to box it off and stained the same color as the desk. I'm just looking for some other opinions on what you would do to hide it.

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 09:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
The grommet, cord carrier and channels should be black and as unobtrusive and tightly constrained as possible. If you don’t have a floor outlet you need to run a low-profile as possible cord channel to the side that is rarely walked over to the nearest wall outlet.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Hi all, I have the desk in the image below. I want to hide the cables as much as possible so I will have a metal "basket" on the back side of the shelf to hold the power strip, excess cable, etc. My question is, I'm going to drill a grommet in top of the desk at the front corner, which is right above the shelf. The shelf is about 5" deep. I'm going to drill a second hole in the back of the shelf to pass the cords from the top of the desk to the back where the cord basket will be located.

My question is, what would you use to hide the cords and holes? I was thinking something simple to box it off and stained the same color as the desk. I'm just looking for some other opinions on what you would do to hide it.

Thanks in advance!
Is there room under the desk to hang the stuff? I have my power strip hanging on my inside back wall of my desk where your legs would go. Very easy to do these days with all the 3M products available.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:03 PM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Sorry I don't think I was clear in my original post.

Yes the goal is to install a grommet on the top and hang the powerstrip behind that shelf you see in the image.

My question is specific to that shelf in the image. In order to drill the grommet, it will be right above that shelf, which is about 5 inches deep. This means that the cords will come down through that shelf, with the goal of exiting the back of the shelf. I tried to illustrate in the pic attached here. The red shows the cord coming down from the desk, exiting the back of the shelf. This part of the desk faces the entryway so I'm trying to make it look neat and tidy.

So my question is - any suggestions on what I can do to hide the cords? I know I can build a square "box" made out of wood but I'm wondering if there are any other ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for hiding cables in a desk-desk.jpg  

Old 03-02-2021, 01:55 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
The term is cable management. Review for ideas:

https://www.amazon.com/cable-managem...ble+management

Old 03-02-2021, 02:11 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
One hole is better than two. Running data and power cables in parallel can be done, but isn't optimal.

Consider a single hole, and a plinth for the lamp, if similar to the photo. The plinth can have a channel routed into the underside for cables. Threading through two holes, especially if the hole is small and connectors need to be removed and replaced, is a PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House