Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:37 PM

61 posts, read 398,000 times

Advertisements

Recently had an RO system installed. Did not realize this wastes so much water (and the sound of the faucet drip is killing me!).

Wondering are there any RO/better filteration systems out there without causing so much water just wasted because we want to drink clean water? If we have to waste, I would like to use it maybe in my sprinkler system or something like that. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
PakBrain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Watering house plants, landscape plants and the lawn seem like the most logical uses for that water. I know someone in Boerne who has a gray-water capture system that collects the water from the household sinks and dishwasher for use in watering the lawn.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,464 times
I'll admit, we have a RO system, but I have no idea how it works.

Check out this Instructable on building a grey water capture system...

Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 AM

101 posts, read 545,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PakBrain View Post
Recently had an RO system installed. Did not realize this wastes so much water (and the sound of the faucet drip is killing me!).

Wondering are there any RO/better filteration systems out there without causing so much water just wasted because we want to drink clean water? If we have to waste, I would like to use it maybe in my sprinkler system or something like that. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
PakBrain
What do you really mean by waste water from an RO and what faucet is dripping? The RO faucet? Please let me know what equipment you are using.

If you use an UltraFiltration membrane, then there is no drain. It doesn't remove as much TDS as a NanoFiltration or reverse osmosis, but it can be placed where no drain is available.

Last edited by autumngal; 08-10-2008 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: sig removed

Old 08-10-2008, 11:55 AM

418 posts, read 1,240,018 times
Quote:

Thanks,
PakBrain
Yes, there are better RO systems out there. I noticed this while shopping online.

I'd check out the Costco website and look up reverse osmosis. The same company has two different types of RO.

1. One that uses 4 gallons for 1 gallon of drinking. $140
2. One that has no waste. $290

Old 08-10-2008, 12:59 PM

61 posts, read 398,000 times
Default Thanks for educating me on RO systems

I did not know these guys waste water otherwise I would have gone with the one which does not waste any water. Maybe someday I'll have enough money to spend and buy the one which does not waste any water.

For now I am thinking saving $$ and spending $150 extra does not seem right (will probably take 10 years to waste $150 worth of water from RO system if we think about wasting money not something as precious as water)

Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
I know there is some wasted water with our RO. But it doesnt waste
all that much, BUT, the drip sound is not normal. Is it a gurgling noise?
If it is, the line under your sink to the RO tap might need to be re-routed.
Happened to us, and the gurgling sound was VERY annoying!

Greenchili

Old 08-17-2008, 07:33 PM

101 posts, read 545,892 times
Quote:
I did not know these guys waste water otherwise I would have gone with the one which does not waste any water. Maybe someday I'll have enough money to spend and buy the one which does not waste any water.

For now I am thinking saving $$ and spending $150 extra does not seem right (will probably take 10 years to waste $150 worth of water from RO system if we think about wasting money not something as precious as water)
If your RO has a shut off, it is not 'wasting' water. How are you determining that it is wasting water? Do you waste water when you shower, wash dishes and clothes, flush the toilet? In fact, according to your thinking, ever drop of water you use every day is wasted, right?

Don't confuse waste water with wasted water.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM

286 posts, read 1,481,487 times
Quote:

An RO uses poor quality water to produce high quality water.

I can understand how you would think that is a waste of water but, it isn't wasting water anymore than rinsing veggies, watering the lawn or plants, power washing the porch or driveway, taking an extra shower or a Sunday afternoon tub bath once a month, filling the kiddie pool every other day or giving the dog an extra bath, etc. etc..

The reject water flow from an RO is flow controlled and a very small volume (gpm) and does not reduce your household water pressure or flow in any measurable or noticeable amount.

No waste ROs put the reject water back into the cold water feed line to the water heater... a bad idea in my opinion.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 AM

380 posts, read 2,351,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
No waste ROs put the reject water back into the cold water feed line to the water heater... a bad idea in my opinion.
Oh no, why is this bad? We were looking into getting the no waste RO system from Costco. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House