Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times

Advertisements

I live in a very quiet neighborhood except the people behind me play their music so loud that I can hear the bass coming through my closed door and there house is sealed shut too! Anyway, it's really annoying. There is no HOA and it's never at night - usually at dinner when I get home and would like some peace and quiet. I've thought about just sending them an anonymous note to clue them in but I'm afraid they might get even worse. Thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:01 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Have you spoken with other neighbors to see if they have experienced the same bother? That would annoy me NO END because I value my silence.

I think a note might be helpful and point out that many people have the same concern.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Have you spoken with other neighbors to see if they have experienced the same bother? That would annoy me NO END because I value my silence.

I think a note might be helpful and point out that many people have the same concern.
No, I have not. They aren't in the direct line of fire like I am. I live on close to half an acre so you wouldn't think I could hear their bass through my sliding glass door. What do you think about an anonymous note? The last thing I want is a feud.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,039 times
Movin'on
How about going over there to talk to them about it (in a friendly way)? They may not be aware of how the noise travels and impacts the neighbors. If they don't show any consideration after you have a talk with them, you can always call the police.

Sandy

Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
Movin'on
How about going over there to talk to them about it (in a friendly way)? They may not be aware of how the noise travels and impacts the neighbors. If they don't show any consideration after you have a talk with them, you can always call the police.

Sandy
Can the police do anything though if the music is only on during the day?

I had neighbors who bought their son a drum set for Christmas and then set it up on their back porch which is even with my bedroom. I was staggered that they were THAT inconsiderate. I was lucky because they were renters and I only had to speak with the owner of the home whom I knew well.

Needless noise will steal my sanity and thats NO JOKE. AND I would hate to get into a feud. I hate confrontations but once someone corners me and starts in on me, its not a pretty site.

I personally would try a note first and insinuate that more then one person has the problem. If that doesn't work, go and speak with them. Are you at least bigger then they are??

Old 05-20-2008, 08:40 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
Flaming dog poop is always a good ice breaker!

Seriously, talk to them about the noise, if it does not stop all the police in to have a chat with them.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:30 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Send an anonymous letter stating something like this: Dear Neighbor, please be aware that your loud music can be heard through your surrounding neighbors houses. We work hard and would like to come home and enjoy our house with some piece and quiet. Would you please turn your music/bass down? If the unnecessary noises continue, the correct authorities will be notified. Your future cooperation is greatly appreciated in this matter.
Thank you

Blah blah..You get my point. As I've said before, if you have a videocamera and can tape all this including getting on film how loud it is in your house, you can take them to small claims court and sue for right to quiet enjoyment of your unit. Check on your states noise decibel laws for that. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do and the outcome.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
If I were you, I might start out just calling the police and asking them about applicable laws and what your options are without actually reporting the issue. If there's not a law to back you up, then you're going to have to try to sugarcoat this to deal with the neighbor. If you know there's laws behind you, you've got some weight behind you. I always try to work things out, but I also hate confrontation.

I have a friend who had the same problem and she started out by leaving a polite note. She documented the date/time that she sent the note. Then she actually taped the music from insider her house along with date and time. She also had friends over and had them sign her little journal about what they were hearing. In this case, the neighbor ended up being fined and eventually they moved.

Good luck with this. In our last rental we had noisy neighbors and it really doesn't impact your life. We moved because of them. I'd never let anyone force me out of my house, though. Hang in there

Old 05-21-2008, 08:40 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Plant a ton of evegreens between them and you.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,135 times
Do not send an anonymous note! Nothing pisses a person off more than an anonymous note - it makes you feel watched and wary. Just take them some wine, beer, or cookies and ask them nicely to turn down the stereo. Chances are they have no idea it is bothering you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House