Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 04:44 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times

Advertisements

Something I didn't think to mention that someone might find helpful. Back in my days of house hunting I was eligible (approved) for a grant under a FTHB program. The grant was for $40,000. After admin fees of $3,600, 51% of the remaining $36,400 had to be used in rehab on the house, the remainder could be used either way (fixing up, or closing costs, down payments etc) Sadly I could not find a house in the county that met the requirements of the grant, and my budget and other needs, in the time allotted.

Anyway, my surprise was that double-wide mobile homes were included in this grant. I couldn't even find one of those to suit, but it might be useful for someone else looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 06:44 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Newer mobile homes are built to very strict government standards.
They are basically a stick built home on a chassis.
However, the old “trailer” stigma still lingers.
Older mobile homes were indeed built very similar to campers. But, believe it or not, as crappy as they were built there are still thousands of them still standing.
I’ve worked on quite a few newer ones and they are built quite nicely, like I said, a regular stick built home on wheels. And some of them can actually be quite high end with design and features, many north of 100k depending how they are optioned. When placed on a true permanent foundation, they really become a regular traditional home.

They are an excellent option for someone on a budget looking to have an affordable option to live on their own land. The park thing is a completely different animal though. They run the gamut. From the stereotypical run down “trailer trash” parks, to high end luxury developments.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:02 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
My feeling is if it was all I could afford, I’d be grateful to live in a mobile. Otherwise, they do not seem very safe or esthetically pleasing. Also, if you don’t own the ground your home sits on, it would bother me.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:27 AM

Oh yeah, check this one out…

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M94193-96442

Lol they’re calling it a condo…it’s a single wide.

Old 10-04-2022, 01:01 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

Condo doesn't mean "apartment". My mobile home community is a condominium...therefore my home is a "condo.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Condo doesn't mean "apartment". My mobile home community is a condominium...therefore my home is a "condo.
It’s misleading to the average bear.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:24 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

Holy moley! One million dollars??

Old 10-04-2022, 11:00 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Dogs

If the town homes were designed properly they will have a double layer, insulated wall between units so you will never hear the other person even if in a middle unit, meaning neighbors on both sides. Also if an end unit, you will only have neighbors on one side.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:15 AM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
OP probably already made their decision...

Old 10-07-2022, 05:28 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
The thread is getting older but I have mobile homes on the brain right now.
I think we lived in 3-4 of them growing up.
Technically, they're called "manufactured housing" these days. They made that distinction back in the 70's but the phrase hasn't really caught on among the general public.

These types of houses have to be built to certain standards. They aren't likely to blow over in a storm any more than a site-built house unless they're not set up properly. The same goes for the plumbing. Pipes won't freeze unless the skirting isn't done right. You won't freeze either because they generally use the same insulation as a regular house.
Parks can vary widely from one to the next. What part of the country you're in makes a difference in the ratio of nice parks to trashy parks.
Here in Wisconsin, nice parks seem to be the norm but there are some I'd avoid. Paved streets, driveways, garages, etc., people who keep their yards nice... all that seems easy enough to find.
Judging by the prices around here, I'd say they hold their value pretty well as long as they're taken care of.
For the most part, mobile homes are just as legit of a choice as a comparably-sized "regular" house.

The one issue is lot rent. Buying a new trailer and putting it in a park with lot rent can often make it a wash if you're trying to save money.
The savings seem better if you have your own land to put it on. That, or buying an older model dirt cheap to where all you have to do is pay that lot rent.
Some local manufactured home companies have purchased land and developed it as a subdivision. They offer a lane and home package. These are not single side homes. For what you’re describing you’d be better off buying a small piece of land for a mobile home. However some towns and cities have banned mobile homes of a certain age. They flame it’s for safety but the reality is they don’t bring in as much property taxes as traditional homes. Some trailer parks are better than others. Some are pure trash while others are so nice there’s a literal waiting list for when a spot opens. In these nice parks the higher fees actually do go towards the maintenance of the park and the park was well developed. Buying a piece of land for a trailer also requires looking up any zoning or codes issues, nearest utility connections, regulations on prepping a plot for a mobile home, and any other issue such as flood zones for the land you wish to purchase. Locally lots for trailers have to have soil dumped and flattened to raise the spot the trailer will be parked on. Based upon flood zones the trailer has to be elevated so many feet above the land before being anchored. The AC unit also must be elevated the same height as the trailer. Having skirting isn’t just cosmetic, it also helps to keep animals from making homes under your trailer and in the insulation under the trailer. Depending on the weather and soil, raising and anchoring a trailer isn’t a once and done job. In areas with soft soil you could need to have it raised and anchored again after 5 to 10 years. I know of two families whose homes were blown off the blocks because the settling caused the anchor straps to be loose and high winds shifted the trailer off the blocks.

One advantage of new mobile homes is energy efficiency of some models because of improved insulation, windows, and the ability to select appliances as part of the initial purchase package. Most mobile homes are all electric so a heat pump water heater, heat pump central ac system, and an induction cook top would all increase efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House