Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 06:18 PM

1,366 posts, read 995,609 times

Advertisements

Hi

To the left, is the exit to my deck, and I have grown unhappy with the blinds. Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can replace them with?
Attached Thumbnails
Not happy with my deck door blinds. Suggestions?-deck.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 06:43 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Those are pretty standard inexpensive vertical blinds (around $60 last time I saw some). What is it that you don't like? They do age out and bind if you don't open and close them in position 90 degrees from the direction of pull/push.

I've often thought they would be a good candidate for a painting or segmented mural, or even cut to accept weighted fabric strips instead of having the plastic all the way down. $60 is cheap experimentation if it doesn't work.

The upscale is to replace the doors with French doors and door curtains or blinds.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:13 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with them. Perfect for the application. But riddle me this... is the angle of the photo that makes it look like that molding transition block is off center from the mantel?

Old 09-28-2022, 08:30 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with them. Perfect for the application. But riddle me this... is the angle of the photo that makes it look like that molding transition block is off center from the mantel?
It's off center. Ahhhh!

Old 09-28-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Those are pretty standard inexpensive vertical blinds (around $60 last time I saw some). What is it that you don't like? They do age out and bind if you don't open and close them in position 90 degrees from the direction of pull/push.

I've often thought they would be a good candidate for a painting or segmented mural, or even cut to accept weighted fabric strips instead of having the plastic all the way down. $60 is cheap experimentation if it doesn't work.

The upscale is to replace the doors with French doors and door curtains or blinds.
Thanks. Def not replacing the doors - nothing wrong with them; it's the blinds I dislike.

Curtains.... found this:

https://decorifusta.com/wp-content/u...n-ptagqpj-.jpg

Same idea, but I think that is a bit nicer.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with them. Perfect for the application.
Yes, Perfect for the application. I just don't like them.

Quote:
But riddle me this... is the angle of the photo that makes it look like that molding transition block is off center from the mantel?
It's not the angle of the photo; the molding transition block is off center from the mantel. Thing is, that block is dead center in the room; the fireplace is not in the center; it is offset by about a foot or so. If that block had been placed centered to the mantel, it wouldn't be centered in the room, and would therefore look more wrong than it does now . I think.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:06 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
that's the first thing I noticed and I don't know anything about moulding transitions.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:08 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Thanks. Def not replacing the doors - nothing wrong with them; it's the blinds I dislike.

Curtains.... found this:

These are nice!!!

Old 09-29-2022, 07:23 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,683,589 times
First of all I'd yank that block out of there; it's just a sign of extremely lazy finish carpenters who can't figure out how to make a clean miter joint. Heck, it's even painted crown molding. Any 10 year old with a $10 plastic miter box and some attention to detail could have made a clean miter joint there; and anything that isn't perfect can look darn near with a little sanding and a little bondo, since it's a painted molding.

Secondly, there's not much you can replace vertical blinds with for this kind of application. About all you've got to choose from is draperies. Roman shades are too heavy usually, for a double width doordow like that.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:24 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post

Curtains.... found this:

Very nice!

We have those lateral blinds over a sliding glass Arcadia door in our master. But I chose fabric instead of plastic fir the slats. In retrospect, I should have chosen a lighter color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House