Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 10:27 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,849 times

Advertisements

I am sanding and and re-finishing 750-sqft of hardwood floor.

I started planning to rent a floor sander. Then I thought, this size seems small enough that I can use a hand tool to do (perhaps with a lot more time which I have). If so, for the money to rent floor sander I can buy a hand tool which can be useful for other jobs. Money aside, convenience is a big factor too in my situation -- I can't just finish the job quickly and return a rental asap.

My questions:

1. On the size -- I see 6", 8", and 11" orbital sanders. I am inclining to get the 11"; but I see 6" seems most common. For my purpose, what might be the best compromise?

2. There are gear-driven orbital sanders which has both gear-driven mode and random orbital mode. Seems these have more versatility than just the random orbital ones. Is this correct?

3. Any suggestion for my purpose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 11:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
You might want to watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL0zzY25si0

He does the same thing and has a couple of warnings. If you plan to restain an orbital sander won't remove enough of the surface.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:38 AM

629 posts, read 408,913 times
If you buy an 11" sander, that is going to limit it's usefulness on future projects that might have closer clearances. I'd go with a 6".

Random orbital, when working with wood, is a "peace of mind" issue, not having to worry about cross grain sanding. You can really screw up a piece of furniture sanding against the grain in too focused a manor. So the "random" part helps shield you from that possibility. "One less thing to go wrong".

All that said, the only floor I've ever refinished without a rental machine, I used a cheap Sears & Roebuck belt sander, with diligent attention to aligning the belt travel with the grain, and it worked pretty well

Old 11-20-2022, 11:50 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
If you rent a floor sander, you will likely need a hand sander anyway, to get the corners.

Aside from time, you will use up a lot of sandpaper using a small hand sander on the whole room. That should factor into the cost of using a hand sander vs renting a floor sander and keeping it overnight until you can return it.

It's also harder to be consistent in the amount of sanding and pressure when you are using a small machine over a long period of time. You could end up with an inconsistent quality when you are finished, and possibly end up spending a lot more time and money fixing it.

As for what size to use, yes 6" is the most common for the average consumer who might use it for refinishing furniture or something. 11" sanders are used by professionals who need to buff out scratches in corian countertops or for similar purposes. 8" sanders aren't that commonly used, because the two other sizes are usually sufficient for most professionals.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:35 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
3. Any suggestion for my purpose?

Yeah; just one!

HIRE SOMEONE! You clearly don't know what you don't know-

Old 11-20-2022, 04:20 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
750 sf with a hand sander??? I have thought of some bad ideas in the past, but that one surpasses most of them.

With a floor sander and proper grits, you can be done sanding in a day, possibly two. With a hand sander... what year were you planning completion? The number of hours you would spend sanding would be on the order of six to eight times that with a floor sander.

A floor sander - IN THE PROPER HANDS - makes for an even sanding and flat level floor. A hand sander means variations according to your technique and strength each day. You will use FAR more sandpaper than is used in a floor sander. The aggressive grit and weight of the sander do the work, not you.

I agree with KB. Unless you want to pay for someone to come in and touch up or or fix your errors, hire a pro and be done with it. OTOH, if you have about three or four closets to practice on, and after sanding those think you can use a floor sander without creating divots, you might give it a try.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:48 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Sanding floors is like laying tile. The first few jobs you do are going to come out lousy. If you've only got one job to do, ever, and you've never done it before, hire a pro who's done it 10,000 times already. You're paying for his practice through the years. You're also paying for his knowledge when something gets weird, how to solve it without taking the whole thing sideways.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:59 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
ROS are cheap! Rent a real floor sander, then buy an ROS if you really want one.

Use the right tool for the right job, and an ROS is not the right tool for this one. You will spend hours of backbreaking manual labor, purchasing hundreds of sanding disks, to get an uneven finish to your floor, all to save $100?

Offer to mow your neighbor's lawn next summer and use the money to buy a small sander if you want one that badly.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:29 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,849 times
Thanks for all the tips. I'll take it back and think about my plan.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:59 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yeah; just one!

HIRE SOMEONE! You clearly don't know what you don't know-
Trust this advice, and take it from someone who knows personally. I’ve done this project, once, and will never do it again. I had belt sander, random sander, edge sander. It. Kicked. My. Ass….

There is a technique, there is a process, and if you don’t follow the steps, it will be a disaster. It’s not a “sand it once and done” thing either. No no… it’s sanding it multiple times with different grits in a sequence.

I did an entire floor of our home in a week, 14 hours a day, 2,000sf. It took 6 months for my left forearm to get its feeling back. I documented the process on here years ago. If you search “red oak” and my name as thread starter under the “house” category, you’ll probably find it.

I had 4 bedrooms go from carpet to matching hardwood last year. I didn’t even consider doing it myself. It’s a different level of mankind that can do and sand-in-place hardwood floor correctly. It is worth every penny to hire out. I promise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House