Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

The Bosch 6" Dual-Mode Random Orbit Sander is the only sander of this sort that I have used, and I'm impressed. It has a 6.5 amp variable speed motor which is powerful enough for any DIY project, which is the kind of woodwork I do.
I've always used an orbital sander for finishing items made for DIY woodwork projects, and unlike some people, actually enjoy sanding wood. The first project I used a random-orbit sander (the Bosch 1250DEVS) for was when we made a pool lounger to photograph construction step-by-step for a local magazine. I found it particularly useful for sanding the edges where the slats meet the legs at right angles. It also worked well for the V-shaped slots we made to change the height of the backrest, although I had to work incredibly carefully. But the side grip makes it an easy tool to hold steady and manouvre.
When the job was complete, there were no tell-tale swirls or scratches on the surface, which was important because of the close-up photographs required. This, according to the German manufacturer, is because the sander has an integral pad dampening system. Whatever it is, it works well, and it is a feature worth remembering when you are weighing up which sander to use to finish items that are going to be painted, particularly furniture.
The Bosch 1250DEVS is a multi-purpose machine, in that it can be used for both relatively heavy or rough sanding - to remove the surface of the wood - and for fine finishing, to create a lovely smooth surface finish. What's great is that you can move between the random "orbit" mode and the "turbo" mode very quickly and without any fuss. One tool does both jobs.
It's a perfectly balanced little sander and it doesn't vibrate like I'm told some others do. It also offers excellent dust control in the form of a passive dust collection or vacuum system, although you'll need to get the vacuum cleaner and hoses separately. Although no noisier than other makes, this random orbit sander does make quite a shrill, high-pitched noise when in operation, but nothing like the huge woodworking machines you find in factories.
Although priced a little higher than some random orbit sanders, it is certainly not the most expensive orbit sander on the market, and it does offer really good value for money.
The Bosch 1250DEVS takes a 6 inch sized disc and it has a soft start function that basically reduces the start-up torque. There is also a variable speed dial that you can use to control the sanding process. I rely on this a lot when sanding smaller items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews