Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 05:49 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulaskicountyindiana View Post
battery powered hand held blower - like this.. https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GBL18V-...68693218&psc=1
Blow it...where?? All that has to be collected anyway.

And a shop vac? One needs to empty it, place dirt bag, clean the filter, assemble and disassemble... Too much for someone with arthritis.

Last edited by elnina; 10-19-2022 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 06:06 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Sorry to hear you have pain.

A softer bristle brush with a lot of bristles is better for getting deeper into crevices of a cement walk for example and removing more dust/dirt and larger debris such as leaves, grass, etc. in one pass.

I agree. Soft bristle brush is much better in my opinion. Hard bristles tend bend and the dirt just "jumps" in all directions.

I use this and it's great!!
It's light, easy to use and space saving to store.
https://www.amazon.com/Quickie-Bulld...ef=mp_s_a_1_68

Old 10-19-2022, 07:15 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

And a shop vac? One needs to empty it, place dirt bag, clean the filter, assemble and disassemble... Too much for someone with arthritis.
If you're blowing leaves and grass clippings can't they be blown into flower beds or onto the grass? I thought you just wanted the walkway clean.

And if you're blowing, you don't need to empty or disassemble anything, at least for this job. It's not vacuuming, it's blowing.

It was just an idea.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:30 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not really what you're asking, but if sweeping is difficult and blower is too heavy.... What about a shop vac that has a blowing option? Ours does this, the shop vac is on wheels, so you're only holding the weight of the hose, the little vac will follow you along a walkway... Does a nice job.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-SL183...0-4513d670b6bc

Interesting idea thanks! I think the noise might still be too much. I just can't tolerate the noise.

I do have a shop vac, but not a cordless one. I avoid using it, or even the regular vacuum, as much as possible. I can't tolerate the noise. However I appreciate you thinking outside the box for me!

I'm going to try to corn broom. I think that's my best bet. Have to work it into the budget somewhere though so it might be a while.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:38 AM

Quote:

A shop vac is a lot of work, so true! I've only used mine once, to suck up water in the basement. It wasn't all that effective and I never bothered to do it again, the water dries up pretty fast after heavy rain so it's wasn't worth doing really. And I wore the horribly uncomfortable noise canceling headset the whole time. Awful.

But she meant use the blower hole on the shop vac. Like the old fashioned canister vacuums of my childhood, shop vacs have an egress hole you can put the tube in it and blow instead of suck up.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:41 AM

Quote:
I agree. Soft bristle brush is much better in my opinion. Hard bristles tend bend and the dirt just "jumps" in all directions.

I use this and it's great!!
It's light, easy to use and space saving to store.
https://www.amazon.com/Quickie-Bulld...ef=mp_s_a_1_68

Thanks. That's been my mistake apparently. The outside broom I am using has stiff heavy plastic bristles. It's durable for sure, I've been using it for quite a few years and it hasn't lost a bristle, but oh my is it painful! And not very effective either.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:16 AM

337 posts, read 449,111 times
Is this for transportation??? I'm just kidding... I couldn't resist. Have a blessed day!

Old 10-21-2022, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
Is this for transportation??? I'm just kidding... I couldn't resist. Have a blessed day!

You are mistaking me for my late older sister.

I once gave her a bumper sticker that said "My other car is a broom".

She hung it on her wall with the other one I gave her which was "A woman and her truck, it's a beautiful thing". Neither of us (or anyone in our family) are the type to put them on our cars.

She's gone from (good) witch to Guardian Angel now .

Old 10-23-2022, 06:35 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
You beat me to it....

I was going to say-- It depends. If you just have short commutes with time to re-charge, maybe a modern electric broom will work, and maybe qualify for a govt rebate...For longer distances, a traditional broom is better. I'll ask my wife what brand she recommends and get back to you.

Happy Halloween everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House