Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 05:42 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,137,810 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you should read in detail about how siding is installed. You will see how important the perfect shape of each piece is.

Any distortion at the ends or along the length of a piece will be a problem in moisture protection and of course visually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 01:32 PM

23,353 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah. If you were just going to do a small garage or shed it would likely be ok but your house? You want to sell it in the near to mid-future and I would think used and probably mismatched siding would detract from the price you could get.
Cosmetics aside, mismatched siding would create some red flags for me. If the different siding wasn't uniformly covering an obvious and deliberate addition, it suggests it was necessary to repair structural damage at some point. Rot, termites, water damage, etc. If there were clues the mismatched siding was salvaged from another structure I'd start wondering where else that seller cut maintenance corners. All in all, I'm either going to pass or not offer anything close to the asking price.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:16 AM

6,883 posts, read 4,893,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As I speak, the house next door to me is having (what's looks to me to be) perfectly good vinyl siding noisily removed and thrown in a dumpster while I'm facing a VERY expensive paint job in the next year or two if I keep this house, which I don't plan to do for that very reason, among others... They're replacing it with HGTV Greige simply to match the new bland interior color after a complete "upgrade." I've jokingly remarked to both the owner and the workmen that they should just use that to side MY house so as not to waste it, and they've all laughed, but I'm halfway serious. Is there any reason I couldn't "recycle" that stuff and thus save money?
Just because it looks perfectly good doesn't mean it is. Have you asked the neighbors why they are removing it? Most of us don't decide we are bored and ripping off good siding will be amusing.

I think painting would be less labor intensive. Re-siding would take more time. However if you were to do it yourself and consider your time as having no value, it might be a deal.

Old 02-25-2023, 05:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,609,611 times
I understand the desire to reuse something that looks 'perfectly fine' that is going to waste. I am always looking at discarded things in that way (how can I reuse this) However in this case, I think the general consensus is the way to go.

Unless you were planning on building something, a little outhouse, a playhouse, a shed, a dog house, whatever, and using the siding on that..which would satisfy your desire to re-use and recycle...I would let this one go.

You could take the stuff. sort it at your leisure, and keep it for another project, if you have room to store it.

At work they dismantled all this built in storage area and counter space, and the pieces of wood were going to be thrown away. Some really nice bits, birch plywood, and some gorgeous thin oak paneling. I snapped them up and they are stacked in my shed. The nails and staples removal will be the first project, then sanding the glue off, then they will be ready for whatever project I think of the use them for. So yes, I get it!

Old 02-25-2023, 07:18 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,911,013 times
A couple things to keep in mind:
A, Vinyle siding is pretty cheap to start with.
B, Exposed to the sun, it fades making it almost impossible to match out.
C, As it ages, it also tend to get some brittle making it harder to work with.
D, You will find that using the disposed siding that in the end, you will need additional pieces to complete your job. It will be impossible to find exact shade matches not only because of manufacturing differences but natural fading.
As was mentioned above, it would be fine for a small out building, my house....No Way!!

Old 02-25-2023, 07:34 AM

21,952 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Just because it looks perfectly good doesn't mean it is. Have you asked the neighbors why they are removing it? Most of us don't decide we are bored and ripping off good siding will be amusing.
As I said, the new owners are "updating" the entire house, although it doesn't appear to need it -- it was previously occupied -- to turn it into an AirBnB and are simply changing the exterior color (a quirky pastel) to match the new interior (the uniform HGTV greige).

Old 02-25-2023, 08:13 AM

10,108 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
As I said, the new owners are "updating" the entire house, although it doesn't appear to need it -- it was previously occupied -- to turn it into an AirBnB and are simply changing the exterior color (a quirky pastel) to match the new interior (the uniform HGTV greige).
Do you think cladding your house with used siding in a "quirky pastel" will help sell it in the future?

Old 02-25-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Do you think cladding your house with used siding in a "quirky pastel" will help sell it in the future?
As I've also said, maybe elsewhere, the same buyer is also interested in buying my house, so he'll no doubt do "whatever" to it at the time per his taste. My main concern is not having to put thousands more into painting it until I DO buy another property, sell, and move. It's getting to the point where wood is exposed by the peeling paint, and I don't want it to begin rotting.

It was just an idea!

Old 02-25-2023, 10:01 AM

45,466 posts, read 60,692,988 times
Quote:
As I've also said, maybe elsewhere, the same buyer is also interested in buying my house, so he'll no doubt do "whatever" to it at the time per his taste. My main concern is not having to put thousands more into painting it until I DO buy another property, sell, and move. It's getting to the point where wood is exposed by the peeling paint, and I don't want it to begin rotting.

It was just an idea!
Here's the thing, if you're getting peeling paint and plan on selling any time soon the deduction on the price will likely be more, maybe a lot more, than you'll spend on painting.

Also, if you have an aggressive Code Enforcement regime where you live you can, and maybe will, be cited for the peeling paint.

I got one of those citations once when I was on the ladder painting. Of course, it was issued for other reasons not related to either the paint or even the house but was more of a political shot across the bow. Also got a citation for having an unsightly firewood pile 10 minutes after it was dropped in my driveway.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:06 AM

I'm aware of all that, which is why I'm desperately looking for a property in this crazy real estate market. I may have no choice but to paint, although they next owner will probably turn around and side it, making it a waste of money. I don't need to sell to buy, and I didn't pay much for it to begin with; additionally, it has some old house "issues" I'm not fixing. Hence, I'm not looking or planning to make a killing on it anyway. If I can recoup what I put into it, I'll be happy. At any rate, I just hate to see anything go into the landfill and wondered if this was feasible.

Guess not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House