Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:55 AM

275 posts, read 1,761,354 times

Advertisements

I've never had problems dealing with mice. Small field mice got into our old house every now and then and the old fashioned mouse trap, baited with peanut butter, took care of them every time (and quickly).

We did have a problem with rats in the attic once. This was due to neighbors behind us whose backyard was a horrible mess , a tree too close to our roof, and a very small gap between an attic window frame and the roof. I hate rats with a passion, so I immediately called an exterminator. About $750 and one week later, all rats dead, attic cleaned and disinfected, gap filled, tree trimmed, and no more rat problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM

156 posts, read 270,564 times
My hubby and I live in an extremely old house that has pretty much no foundation, so we get a lot of interesting animals/bugs in the house. Mice is among them. I absolutely hate mice too (they're different than gerbils!!) and I started baiting kill traps around the house.. Needless to say, none of them worked.. It seems like they're really smart because they could get the peanut butter off the trap without setting it off-one occasion they did though. So I tried several things with the traps. I put a tiny bit on, not much at all, mixed it with mouse poison pellets, and realized what I was doing wrong! The instructions say to put it on the little bait holder thing, and I've been doing that.. So I tried putting it on a more central part of the trap and it worked like a charm! Cats never helped.. They'd only injure them and play with them. We also have a Rat Terrier who caught one and left it as a present on our bedroom floor- ick! Good luck!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:31 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1234 View Post
We've only lived in Cary for a few months, and for a while we were seeing these small black things on the kitchen counter. I honestly thought they were little bugs getting in from the outside and I would just throw these things away with a paper towel. Then after a few weeks, especially when we were seeing more of these things, I thought "Hmmm.... I wonder if these could be mice droppings?" So I google "mouse droppings" and see the pictures online, and yup, our droppings were definitely from mice!

Ugh! I am terrified of mice!

So I IMMEDIATELY went to Home Depot's rodent-warfare section and bought some traps... and didn't work at all. (They took the food but didn't get trapped.) So then I bought mouse killer poison in packets, and that didn't work either because they didn't open the packets. So then we opened the packets and put that poison on a paper towel... and voila! No more droppings. So we thought that was the end of it.

So we removed the poison on the towel on the countertop, and just have one pile of it under the sink, way in the back. (FYI-We don't have young children or pets, so there's no fear of anyone eating this stuff.) This is an area where we'd previously also seen a lot of droppings so thought it might be a good idea to just keep some poison back there "just in case."

Then tonight, weeks later, I opened the cabinet beneath the sink to get a cleanser and my eye immediately goes to a single mouse dropping. I think,"Oh God, not again." But it gets worse. My eyes travel a few inches farther back in the cabinet... and DEAD MOUSE RIGHT THERE! I screamed, ran, jumped on the couch. My children freaked and jumped on the couch not knowing why I was screaming. I just kept saying "Mouse Mouse Mouse". Funny thing is, they are just curious. Not even scared. I'm still freaked. I'm waiting for my husband to get home to take out the carcass. I hate mice!!!!

Soooo, long story but anyone have any pearls of wisdom on how to keep mice out of the house? I'm a mouse novice. Just keep the poison out like I did? Any other kind of poison we can put someplace that will keep them out of the house? Help!

CAT CAT CAT especially a nice mouser Maine Coon Cat

My hubbie hates cats, I hate mice more so first fall we got a mouse in the house and there is NEVER just one I went & got me a cat..problem solved for 15 years now!! I will never be without a cat

Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I wasnt concerned with mice until I read about the fact they can carry bed bugs.
(other diseases too)

I cant handle bugs at all.

Some areas are just prone to mice.
If there are hidey areas around you. You are going to get them. especially in the fall.
Sealing up all your food in tins, or glass will help a bit and at least keep you safe from disease transmission via food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House