Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 05:58 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,365 times

Advertisements

A robin built a birdnest on the outdoor light fixture next to our garage. We could see the nest from the living room and we were quite delighted when the birds hatched and grew bigger and bigger. One of the babies fell out one day and since I had read that it's ok to pick a baby up and replace it in the nest, I did. A moment after I placed him back in the nest, I noticed that I had about 10 zillion little bugs crawling up my arm. I quickly knocked them off and thought, "that was weird," but I thought nothing else about it.

The birds fledged and about the same day, I started getting these horribly itchy welts all over my body. Now I have about 25. This evening out of curiosity, I got on the ladder to look inside the nest. To my horror, the nest was seething with mites. I sprayed my arms and legs with bug spray, got a ziplock bag and took the nest down. Then I started reading and I found out mites can infest houses. I believe that's what's happening here. The weird thing is that I'm the only one who seems to be affected. There are two kids and my hubby as well as three pets. Nobody else is getting the bites. Now I feel like my skin is just crawling.

Is there anything I can do about the mites that I'm now sure are multiplying inside my house??? My sheets are in a HOT wash and tomorrow I'm buying insecticide, but I hate using chemicals. Anybody have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:34 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
Mites

Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,526 times
I would call a vet or a nature center who probably has dealt with this.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 24,308 times
i found one too today it is crrawling with lil bugs can someone tell me wat i do my mom dont want them in the house and they might be some still in the house so my mom sont want them multiplying so tell me wat in the world to do???????

Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 24,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
A robin built a birdnest on the outdoor light fixture next to our garage. We could see the nest from the living room and we were quite delighted when the birds hatched and grew bigger and bigger. One of the babies fell out one day and since I had read that it's ok to pick a baby up and replace it in the nest, I did. A moment after I placed him back in the nest, I noticed that I had about 10 zillion little bugs crawling up my arm. I quickly knocked them off and thought, "that was weird," but I thought nothing else about it.

The birds fledged and about the same day, I started getting these horribly itchy welts all over my body. Now I have about 25. This evening out of curiosity, I got on the ladder to look inside the nest. To my horror, the nest was seething with mites. I sprayed my arms and legs with bug spray, got a ziplock bag and took the nest down. Then I started reading and I found out mites can infest houses. I believe that's what's happening here. The weird thing is that I'm the only one who seems to be affected. There are two kids and my hubby as well as three pets. Nobody else is getting the bites. Now I feel like my skin is just crawling.

Is there anything I can do about the mites that I'm now sure are multiplying inside my house??? My sheets are in a HOT wash and tomorrow I'm buying insecticide, but I hate using chemicals. Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meany619 View Post
You really need to come up with a better way to increase your post count, replying with nothing but emoticons does nothing for your reputation.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Bird mites can bite humans, but they can't reproduce on human hosts. Before someone talks you into spending a bundle, try waiting for a while.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,917 times
I too have an infestation of mites. Red spider mites and more. I have been fighting them for 35 days. Cleaning and washing daily. I have found several places they are breeding: toenail cuticles, dryer door gasket, dryer vent and the vent outlet, behind dryer, microfiber fabric. They do breed in my hair, I have combed out dozens but they are so small the comb misses them.

I went to the feed store and got every product for mites and fleas and I am using dog shampoo for hair and body, and washing machine, dusting on the carpet with demon, mixing spay bottle with demon and other mite flea killer for hard to clean areas, bomb the cars, bomb the house, spray the yard every 5 days. We have spent almost $1000 in 35 days on trying to rid these beasts. I keep my head wrapped in a microfiber turban )( white) from CVS. They get stuck in the microfiber and I pull them out with tweezers then, wash then pull out more that get caught in dryer.

There is much more to tell, but I am worn out.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:39 PM

122 posts, read 235,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsnotes View Post
I too have an infestation of mites. Red spider mites and more. I have been fighting them for 35 days. Cleaning and washing daily. I have found several places they are breeding: toenail cuticles, dryer door gasket, dryer vent and the vent outlet, behind dryer, microfiber fabric. They do breed in my hair, I have combed out dozens but they are so small the comb misses them.

I went to the feed store and got every product for mites and fleas and I am using dog shampoo for hair and body, and washing machine, dusting on the carpet with demon, mixing spay bottle with demon and other mite flea killer for hard to clean areas, bomb the cars, bomb the house, spray the yard every 5 days. We have spent almost $1000 in 35 days on trying to rid these beasts. I keep my head wrapped in a microfiber turban )( white) from CVS. They get stuck in the microfiber and I pull them out with tweezers then, wash then pull out more that get caught in dryer.

There is much more to tell, but I am worn out.
First thing you were supposed to do was take all your clothes off(socks/jacket/shoes/etc), put them in a plastic bag, seal them and throw them away. Then, take a HOT shower for about half hour.
Sleep naked in a white blanket and rest until the next day. DO NOT USE YOUR WASHER OR DRYER TO CLEAN THOSE CLOTHES. You have to throw them away.
I had the same problem when a cat was about to eat a baby bird and i saved it. But then i was full of those tiny insects. They went away mainly because they can only survive off bird blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House