Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 PM

327 posts, read 939,535 times

Advertisements

Every house like an individual has its personality and character. What do you like about your house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
My house is a nicely remodeled older home. It is solid! New windows and blown in insulation, we can not tell if it is windy!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Thumbs up personality sound

Sounds great. It comes handy when there's lake effect outside and Erie lake freezes. We becomes very windy.
Is that what you call a house character and personality?
I love a house with fireplace.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
Well....I want our new home to convey a light,open,breezy,atmosphere.
Light and bright! Thats why Im going for the cottage/beach/modern
look. I want It to be casual and comfortable! I hope!

Greenchili

Old 06-17-2008, 07:38 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,975 times
Default Hope this doesn't sound like I'm a nut....

I've been a Realtor for 18 years. For the first 10 years I was a general brokerage agent. After showing many houses over the years, I started noticing that every house has a "personality". Some houses seemed like happy places, comfortable, calming, appealing. Yet other houses seemed forbidding, cold, unsettling, places you wanted to leave quickly.

Sometimes it was hard to figure out what about that property caused me to react a particular way. Turns out it was an intuitive, subconscious reaction to "cues" in the house. There were some homes that would sell and then come back on the market with in a year or two, over and over again. I can think of two houses that every couple who bought that house ended their marriage in divorce. Coincidental I'm sure.

Since learning about the principles of Feng Shui and the Indian version called Vastu Shastra, I now know its not a mystery that peoples homes contain subtle cues about the emotional state of the people living in the house. It could be the furniture arrangements, untidyness or other things that create negative feelings in the casual observer. Some house plans, even landscaping or placement of the house can create barriers to positive energy (sounds so New Age doesn't it?).

My husband thought I was insane when I told him these things about how houses affect me. Until we were looking to buy a house and previewed a dozen or so. He started to understand what I meant.

While I certainly don't buy into all the Feng Shui stuff, quite a bit of it is just common sense. We've used some of the principles in arranging furniture, use of color, place of landscaping etc. Everything is tidy, even the garage and attic storage. Visitors to our home always comment on how much they love our home, how calm and serene and pleasant it is. Its simply a matter of arranging things so that those subtle subconscious messages are pleasant ones.

For example, its not uplifting to our spirits to come home at the end of a hectic stressful workday and drive into a messy chaotic garage, fighting to even open the car door, tripping over junk. Or to come in the front door to a scene of chaos and messiness. Your already tired jangled nerves are going to be that much more irritated, right? Conversely, being able to pull into the garage with ease, actually being able to open your car door enough to get out, and easily walk through the garage ....you get the idea.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up hopeful homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Well....I want our new home to convey a light,open,breezy,atmosphere.
Light and bright! Thats why Im going for the cottage/beach/modern
look. I want It to be casual and comfortable! I hope!

Greenchili
Hope is good, but you have to do your homework by knowing where's what. Good luck!!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Thank you for your sensere responce. I understand you as a Realtor. And agree. This is why I started this thread. I want to know how people feel and what they think about my question. Thanks and Best to your familiy and career.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:07 AM

323 posts, read 1,969,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
Every house like an individual has its personality and character. What do you like about your house?
In no particular order:

- The porch. Glassed in, 3/4 round, 3 season porch.
- Unpainted woodwork. Almost all of the windows, doors and their associated trim has never been painted.
- The style. Classic Victorian. We had wanted one for years and were finally in a position to afford one.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
HAPPYNCGIRL: so agree w/ what you wrote!!!! Houses do give off a "feeling" . . .

I love Georgian architecture and 18th C design . . . and bought my home specifically b/c it is a traditional Georgian . . . where my furniture lives happily, LOL. It is not for everyone but it is what my DH and I enjoy.

I also was thrilled when I found this house b/c it is all brick and solid as a rock. I love my nice sized master bedroom and little suite off it (wh/ is my office). Our landscaping has been a challenge, as the elderly man who owned the house had neglected it for many years . . . but we have made significant improvements and continue to work on it . . . The satisfaction we get when a project comes together is tremendous. We have more work but it is shaping up and we get a lot of joy from seeing our plans come to fruition.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-19-2008 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-19-2008, 08:37 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
Our house is on a treed corner lot (pin oaks, pecans, dogwoods and magnolia). It's brick, with window boxes, looks very cottagey, has hardwood floors throughout, and we've painted the interior in warm (warm-ish) neutrals. The previous owners did some beautiful landscaping, so the house has enormous curb appeal. No fireplace, but this close to hell itself, you don't need fireplaces. (Ah HATES hot weathah.) The house just has a good feel to it.

Our previous house not only had a horrendous floor plan, but (talk about sounding crazy) I saw and heard things in that house that I could not explain. It always felt WRONG somehow; dark, oppressive, mazelike, and just generally not safe or secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House