Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,629 times

Advertisements

We moved into a house that has a stone front. There are shutters on the upstairs windows, and since the stones are uneven, there is a gap between the stone and the shutters, big enough for starlings to build nests and roost.

We have tried removing all the mess, but they are back the next day. We have tried fake snakes, and this clear tacky gel that works until it rains and gets washed away. Our neighbor tried the fake owl statues, but those don't work either, even if you move them every day. We have considered removing all the shutters and see if the birds stay away.

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, what did you do to finally get rid of the birds? I'm tired of them waking me up every day and the front of my house looks terrible. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 05:33 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,990 times
try leaving the shutters off for awhile and give the birds the 'chance" to find a new home....then ..when you put them back up can yoou fill the gaps with that expandiing foam...don't know how big these gaps are..

Old 03-11-2009, 01:57 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
We moved into a house that has a stone front. There are shutters on the upstairs windows, and since the stones are uneven, there is a gap between the stone and the shutters, big enough for starlings to build nests and roost.

We have tried removing all the mess, but they are back the next day. We have tried fake snakes, and this clear tacky gel that works until it rains and gets washed away. Our neighbor tried the fake owl statues, but those don't work either, even if you move them every day. We have considered removing all the shutters and see if the birds stay away.

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, what did you do to finally get rid of the birds? I'm tired of them waking me up every day and the front of my house looks terrible. Thanks in advance!
I wish you could post a picture of the area. We have used wire mesh in areas we want to keep birds out of in our commercial building. Of course you can't see it on our building. Just an idea.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:37 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I wish you could post a picture of the area. We have used wire mesh in areas we want to keep birds out of in our commercial building. Of course you can't see it on our building. Just an idea.
I'll see if I can get a pic today...camera hasn't been working lately. I'd guess about an inch or so gap, depending on the stone. The mesh is a good idea...I think hubby plans to take down shutters Saturday and pressurewash the whole front, then leave the shutters off for a while. We had thought about some sort of metal screening, too. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I think hubby plans to take down shutters Saturday and pressurewash the whole front, then leave the shutters off for a while. We had thought about some sort of metal screening, too. Thanks!
It would be a good idea to take care of it before the birds start making their Spring nests. We have a pigeon problem on our commercial building and wire really helped.

The building next door also had a pigeon problem on the roof and the roofers laid out a plastic mesh on top so the birds could not make nests. We prefer metal so the birds can not entangle in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House