Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 06:34 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,494,229 times

Advertisements

We bought a house on May 5 that had been vacant for quite a while. We bug bombed each part ourselves, and then hired a popular exterminator and had him take care of the place, and he'll come every 3 months. We did find Black widow and Brown widow spiders outside- which are poisonous.

This past weekend, we finally cleaned our garage, because it had been storing boxes as we hadn't gotten around to fully unpacking. We swept, swept the ceilings, garage door, vacummed everything....saw a coupdle of spiders that we took care of. Then we cleaned up and organized and thought all was good. We park our 2 cars in there. Daily, in the morning, when my son would go to get in the car, he would complain of walking into a spider web connected to my car. I didn't give it much thought because I know that there are normal "house" spiders that you can't get rid of.

Then yesterday within 3 hours, my husband found a web being built, connected to my car and his. He knocked it down, to find it was a black widow spider. These are the spiders that we obviously do not want.

I am going to call my exterminator guy today to complain, because he will come out if we have any issues; I don't remember if he got to do the garage or not because it was full of items and maybe inaccessible.

Is there anything else we can do, to especially keep these kinds of spiders out?

On another note, we made a hole in the wall of the garage, that leads into our foyer, and that's where we put the cat door. The door goes into a dog cage that we drilled to the wall, and inside that cage, we put our litter pans- so the litter isn't in the house, and the cats don't have access to the garage. I am worried for their sakes of getting bit by these spiders, and also if we bug bomb the garage....the cats need access to the litter pans and I am worried about the effects of that.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 07:11 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,316,688 times
First of all, you should read the bug bombs and see if they actually kill black widow spiders. Also read the part about using them around pets, etc.

If the exterminator couldn't get to everything in the garage because of stored things, it's really not fair to complain about his service. It could be there were egg clusters that hadn't hatched yet when you killed the first spider, now the babies are coming out.
The bug guy can take care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House