Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM

512 posts, read 1,434,523 times

Advertisements

it was HUGE! more than an inch long! unusually large for a black widow. it had the male next to her....he was very large for a male too!
i was looking at them before killing them....but then they ran into the aluminum siding of the house! i was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! lol

i know they lay more than 400 eggs....and i want to know how worried i should be! i went out several times last night to try and catch it outside so i could kill it but it was there anymore! the web is there...and some bugs in the web (without silk around them) but no spiders!

help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
I used to have a lot of spiders at my old place. No Black Widows, but I'm guessing most spiders work the same way.

Anyway, I went out and got some of that Ortho spray that is the perimeter guard. It comes in a red/white bottle. I sprayed the perimeter of the house and around all the windows and doors. No more spiders for about 6 months and then I had to do it again.

You might want to try some of that and spray the crap out of the area where you saw them. Chances are you'll find some dead spiders in short order.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
That is like having a wasp nest, a bee hive, or a bunch of stinging ants outside your house.

Not a good thing, but nothing to panic over. Odds are if you found one, there are many more around your house. A black widow bite is like a bee sting. Can be painful, but not a problem unless you are allergic. far worse IMO are yellow sac spiders which most of us have INSIDE our homes. THe make little sacks about pitcure frames and moldings, etc. Their bite is truely awful. I still have a scar from a bit that was 6 month or so ago. It took months to heal. Horrid things those are.

I find that Raid fumigators used once in a while are a great way to kill all of the beasties living inside your house.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:12 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A black widow bite is like a bee sting. Can be painful, but not a problem unless you are allergic.
A black widow bite is far worse than a bee sting and can cause death in the elderly or youth.

Black Widows and Brown Recluses are the most venomous spiders in the US.

At least around here having a black window around your home is not a big deal. I don't recall ever seeing one in my home before though. I've seen some real big ones before too, for some reason a lot seemed to come out when we had a lot of fires here 2 years ago or so. Anyhow, they stay in the same area and their webs have a typical look to them (they are just a big mess with no structure usually in some corner). They don't seem to move around too much and will come out of hiding once the sun does down.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:08 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Having been bit by a black widow, I have to say that it was a lot worse than a bee sting. Maybe the pain from the bite hurt like a bee sting, but the aftermath was a lot worse.

Get some bug spray that specially kills spiders, and spray around the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House