Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:44 PM

16 posts, read 145,491 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

We are constructing a new house in Allen. In the first floor we are putting tiles in foyer, entry way, hall way, kitchen, nook and the hall way upto master bedroom and all the restrooms. I accept, it's lot of tiles.

Now the community construction manager recommends the ~EASY-MAT~ which he says, will prevent the cracks in tiles and it comes with lifetime warrenty! (But already they are putting a padding under the tiles which is a standard one and it's cost nothing to us.)

But the main part is, the so called easy mat costs $2/sqft.!! For us it comes upto $1500!

Should we really want this padding i mean the easy mat under the tiles?
Anybody heard / used this before?

Expecting your valuable comments.

~SL Allen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
I have heard of it and I am told that Easy Mat makes the installation easier. I don't think it adds any value to the tile. It comes in a roll and they cut it with a knife before putting down the tile. Some you can buy with a peel and stick backing or you can buy it without and apply with mortar.

I am not a tile pro but this is what I know of it. May be you want to stop by Home Depot or Lowe's and ask them their opinion about it.

Are they saying that the tile will not be under warranty against cracking if you don't do this?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
Sounds like a way to get another $1500 out of you

Old 12-14-2007, 09:08 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Easy-mat is an alternative to backerboard or a mortar bed. As you stated, it sounds like they are installing backerboard to the subfloor. If that is in fact what they are installing, there is no need for additional substrate or both.
There is another product on the market (don't remember the name) that is an isolation membrane that is suppose to reduce the chances of tiles cracking. But that is not the purpose of Easy-Mat.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM

16 posts, read 145,491 times
Thank you so much guys! Now got an idea, thanks again.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Quote:
There is another product on the market (don't remember the name) that is an isolation membrane that is suppose to reduce the chances of tiles cracking.
Ditra is the other mat. It uncouples the tile from the substrate. (see their videos here. With ditra, you put down subfloor and a plywood underlayment. It takes the place of the cement backer board. We will be using it for our bathroom remodels.

Rather than home depot/lowes, I'd recommend taking your question over here. Thats a forum thats filled with tile professionals. They give you the low down on Easy-mat. That said, I've been there for a month for our bathroom remodel, and I have yet to see the product mentions.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 31,827 times
I can't believe how little understanding there is regarding the purpose of tile underlayments - period.

Anyone who has ever seen a stress crack in tile should understand the basic benefits.

Ask an Architect what he would specify!

Architects specify "Crack Isolation Membranes" of some sort on nearly every project in - particularly for remodeling projects. Add to that the quality and reliability of slabs is deteriorating and rapidly becoming a lost art. There is an increasing need to improve tile security against subfloor movement and most cement backer board underlayment installations are messy and unnecessary particularly on wood sub-floors stiff enough to support large tiles.

There are numerous material types, features and options available. Beyond providing protection against cracks, there are other benefits including: moisture protection, sound improvement (impact sound) and one very subtle yet possibly important benefit almost always overlooked - tile removal.

We have a tendency as consumers to view tile as a permanent architectural product, which it is however, ceramic tile is a fashion driven decorative product. When looking at existing homes with tile installations older than 10-years, I like most consumers typically view the pattern and color as a negative. Tile removal is a nasty and expensive process and most people cringe at the thought of the mess dust and expense of tearing out traditional tile installations.

A key advantage of most tile "crack membranes" is easy removal of tile! Yes, it not only protects the tile against subfloor movement (horizontal stress), it makes it comparatively easy to remove and thus update homes or businesses.

I have been using crack membranes on all my tile installations for 20-years approximately and would never, ever, under any circumstances install tile any other way ever again. The subject "Easy Mat" would not be my first choice because, in spite of the fact it is advertised as a sound mat, it's not as good as many other choices including: Cork ( Good - although not good for high moisture installs), Recycled Rubber (Best).

Recycled rubber underlayment can be purchased for half the price of Easy Mat.

Of the above, the most cost effective and versatile mat is recycled rubber which is available from 2mm thickness on up. This is the thinnest underlayment solution available for tile.

Even at $2.00 per square foot, you have to consider the labor associated with traditional cement backer board installs. In the same time it takes to install backer boards (per the manufacturer's guidelines), you can have a membrane type underlayment down with the tile set - ready for grout. Add to that, there is no noise or dusty dirty mess generated, not special tools, metal fasteners required.

The value of labor savings is often overlooked in the equation.

Product info available at www.SoundStepUnderlayment.com (broken link)

Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 44,999 times
I am putting marble tile on my computer desk top. HD said to use backerboaed which is too big, heavy, thick, n need tools to cut etc etc.
My desk is wood with possibly wood veneer on it and hd said if have veneer the marble tile n grout will make it pull up. I am not a professional, just doing a project. I made two other marble tile projects and only used grout and tile and seem fine. Do I need to use a backing? If so can I use the easymatt or the recycled rubber? It is a very small corner desk. Thanks

Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
For that kind of project, I'd tackle it like this-
Since you don't want to raise the height of the desk much over 30" and marble tiles have square edges, I'd use construction adhesive to attach the tiles to the desk with no gap for grout. Then use either a clear 100% silicone caulk or a color coordinated epoxy to seal the all the edges.
The main concern would be the span of the surface area between supports and how much deflexion the span has.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 44,999 times
Thankyou kledgebkdr,
If there is vaneer wood on the desk will this be the most likely to not pull it up? It is a new desk from pier imports so solid still, one of the tool free legaro type.
This method u mentioned seems to give it flexibility, less weight n height, less materials and headache. Thank you for your advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House