Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 07:10 AM

625 posts, read 4,571,751 times

Advertisements

Right now, there is a regular swinging door on my master closet just off the bath....it takes up room inside my closet and is generally "in the way" so while I'm redoing my closet I figured I would put in a pocket door...Lowes sells the frame hardware and I'll probably try to find a construction book of some sort or online instructions to frame out the door, then add hardware and door but my main concern is buying a well designed system so thought I would ask on here for any advice...where should I buy the hardware? Is it better to get a complete already built unit or is building it myself going to work reliably? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Do they sell a pre-built unit? I haven't seen one.

Anyway, we put one in with the hardware kit you buy from Lowes or Home Depot. The biggest thing to realize if you will have to take down the drywall on one side of closet to open it up for the framing. The framing would just be to take out a few studs and add a header. So if you can do framing, drywall, and a little finishing work, it shouldn't be that hard Using the kit gives you the flexibility to use whatever door you would like (we used solid doors to match the other doors in the house).

Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I have had good luck in limited use applications with the pre framed units and hollow-core doors.

With a heavy door and high traffic, such as a hall bathroom, I ended up buying heavy duty commercial hardware from McMaster... there is a difference in the track and roller system. The track and roller cost over $100 at the time.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:50 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Bison Building Materials. You can get anything you can get at Home Depot or Lowes, but well-made and you don't have to choose between paint grade 6 panel and paint grade flat slab doors. They may be Texas only, but I think they're nationwide.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:10 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Johnson makes excellent pocket door hardware- there's a few different lines, so if there are several different price points, go for the higher one. The last thing you want to do is install crappy hardware just to save a few $$, and end up with a door that's constantly hopping off the track in the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House