Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 AM

36 posts, read 467,021 times

Advertisements

Since this has never happened to me before, I would like to know if this situation is the norm. We have a Love home with Gas (don't laugh). Our home came provided with smoke alarms in each bedroom plus one Carbon Monoxide Alarm. This was great. The problem started last Fall when I decided to bake cookies. It was cool outside and the heat was on so the house was basically closed up. I had the stove up around 375 for about 2 hours or so. When I was finished I turned the oven off and went about my cleaning business. All of a sudden the Carbon Monoxide alarm started talking to me. Of course I was startled at the talking monster but to here the words Carbon Monoxide was really scary. The Alarm head was checked, a test was performed and then it was all quiet..until about a month later. Again...I was using my stove. Everything was the same only this time when the talking monster went off we called the electrician. The electrician mentioned he had already replaced 9 other "heads" and that ours was one of the ones in the "bad batch" he had to replace. He replaced the head but never tested it. Everything was fine after that....until Thanksgiving. Again....I was cooking...using the stove. The Carbon Monoxide monster went off again and this time I decided to call the Fire department. We were told to "get everyone out of the house NOW". That scard us but we gathered everyone and sat in our truck until the "men in red" arrived. They walked around testing everywhere the Carbon Monoxide could come from and found the problem in our stove. We called Sears the next day to come out and run extensive tests and they found NOTHING WRONG. Do you know that the solution he gave us was "I guess you're just going to have to open up your windows when you cook or don't use the stove". Hello!!! what's wrong with this picture. UNACCEPTABLE!!!. And we're not the only ones in our development who's Carbon Monoxide alarm has gone off either. So far we've found three other people who have had the same problem only with the gas fireplace. Now we have been in the construction business (at least my other half has) for over 30 years and there is NO WAY this solution will work. We found out also that the microwave and/or oven isn't vented to the outside. The fan blows everything back into the kitchen. So now...we were given a Carbon Monoxide tester for Peak levels and up until last night all was well. Last night it all happened again. What is the problem and how can this be fixed? Should we be contacting our legal representative at this point? Is it the house, appliance, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 11:55 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,936 times
If your really concerned when the alarm goes off call the fire dept. In the winter months we probrably respond to a dozen CO alarms a week if not more where peoples CO alarms are going off and they are concerned. When your local fire dept comes they will take readings throughout your home and let you know if all is well. Plus, it may help you legally if you have documentation of the FD responding due to the alarm going off. 9 out of 10 times the alarm is a false alarm and people always apologize for making us come out but I always respond with the same answer, "Better to be safe than sorry." CO is not something to take lightly. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:28 PM

191 posts, read 1,002,121 times
same thing happened to me. I called the fire dept and they told me to check the batteries, then they came by with meters to check for CO2 - everything was find and it turned out to be just an outdated CO2 detector.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:59 PM

36 posts, read 467,021 times
Unhappy Been There Done That

DonnaPGH, neoflex - Thanks for the response however, everything you've mentioned was already done. We've replaced batteries, replaced the CO alarm, called the Fired Dept., had the source tested thoroughly and the alarm still went off. Every measure has been taken short of replacing the stove entirely or changing from gas to electric and THAT AINT GONNA HAPPEN. This is why I put this thread out. I am hoping someone will come up with a solution for this other than the temporary "bandaid" that the builders, Sears, and even an electrician seem to come up with. "open your windows when you cook". This is NOT acceptable and I plan on calling the fire department every time it goes off from now on until something is done. Doesn't channel 9 have a "whistle blower" segment?

Old 08-17-2007, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 182,003 times
Default co2 detectors

there are lots of reasons these detectors go off i have been in the heating and a/c buisness for 12 yrs and u should call in a heating contractor do check this problem we r trained to check the fuel burning appliances in ur home to make sure they r burning correctlly but we can also see if ur house is being pulled into a vaccum and ck ur chimney and all of the other stuff that would cause this i have seen back up batteries on sump pumps set off co detectors when charging the battery so there is many things that a trained heating contractor can do to find the problem

Old 08-17-2007, 06:18 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Quote:
replaced the CO alarm
vs.
Quote:
He replaced the head but never tested it
Is the head the same as the whole alarm? I'd try a completely new alarm. They are about $30 at Home Depot.

Also, like SKDRYER says, call in the HVAC people and/or a plumber (plumbers do gas). An electrician is not training in CO problems, and won't be able to do anything but speculate and replace the alarm and/or parts. He only connects the wires in the house, but isn't trained on the gases. My husband is an electrician, so I mean them no disrespect, but this is not their area of expertise.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:18 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiYaBB View Post
DonnaPGH, neoflex - Thanks for the response however, everything you've mentioned was already done. We've replaced batteries, replaced the CO alarm, called the Fired Dept., had the source tested thoroughly and the alarm still went off. Every measure has been taken short of replacing the stove entirely or changing from gas to electric and THAT AINT GONNA HAPPEN. This is why I put this thread out. I am hoping someone will come up with a solution for this other than the temporary "bandaid" that the builders, Sears, and even an electrician seem to come up with. "open your windows when you cook". This is NOT acceptable and I plan on calling the fire department every time it goes off from now on until something is done. Doesn't channel 9 have a "whistle blower" segment?
Call Sears corporate offices!
I had a problem with Sears tech giving me bull excuses and what not and I called corporate and got a solution.
How irresponsible of that person to say open the windows carbon monoxide poisoning kills people every year.
I would also call your attorney generals office they can guide you as to the steps you need to take.
Good Luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times
Have you tried calling the gas company? They might have an expert who can advise you and your neighbors. If this is a problem with one builder not using proper ventilation or with city codes inspectors not checking for proper ventilation during building inspections, they might be able to help you get something done or at least protect future buyers from suffering the same problems. They might also have someone who can inspect your home and recommend more realistic solutions. You might need to enlist the help of the other three neighbors to really add emphasis to the problem.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
These newer gas heaters, stoves etc that don't have a waste gas vent or chimney are the problem. Charging a car battery in the house will set off a CO2 detector also. I would replace the appliances with vented models and try to collect from the builder.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 168,252 times
You guys should know that some detectors are very sensitive. I have a stand alone garrison gas and co detector. you are not going to beleive me but when my wife uses her hair sprayin the the bathroom the detector goes off in the living room after about 5 mins. Come to find out that the hairspray uses a propane bi-product in it setting off the gas side of the dectector. HiYaBB make sure it is not a combination dectector as some cleaners uses these bi products as well>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House