Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 PM

109 posts, read 658,433 times

Advertisements

We have a split level and none of the house is underground. Upstairs is always nice and warm, but the lower level is always cold, around 20* colder! All the heat vents down there are in the ceiling and the furnace is also located on the lower level a long with a mud room and extra bathroom. Any tips on what could be wrong or is this just the way it is? We just changed the filter so that's not the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 05:39 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,742 times
Does hot air come out of the vents on the lower level?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
If you have hot air delivery you have a design flaw with the warm air ceiling vents.

This may sound counter intuitive but ceiling fans set to pull up (slow speed) might distribute the warm air off the ceiling where it stays to other parts of the room.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:41 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,249 times
Physics dictate that heavier cold air moves down and warm air moves up. If you have drafty doors and windows seals, that would allow more cold air into your house too.

Restricting the airflow on the upper level vents would force more out the lower levels. Even then, without something else like the aforementioned ceiling fans to aid in distributing the air around, the lower level will always be colder.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 PM

71 posts, read 430,256 times
Close all of the vents except the lower level ones. It'll heat your house from the ground up, since the heat will rise to the higher levels.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
This is actually kind of typical, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's partly due to not having any cold air returns in the basement.

It's also not uncommon for the lower level to be concrete block walls, while the upstairs is insulated. That can lead to a colder lower level.

And last but not least, heat rises.

If you want to be comfortable if/when you're down there, consider a small electric space heater or two. You won't want to heat the basement with them, because they're spendy to run. But they can take the edge off a small area quite nicely.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
OP, what's your "main" heat source, what part of the country are you in? How well insulated is the house?

If you have a fireplace in the lower level, or could otherwise put in a wood stove or coal stove, or even a corn burning stove - if you want to go that route.

Omaha's right in that if you are in a cold climate, it's just physics - the upper story of a house will be warmer than the lower.

You could take advantage of this and put a chest freezer for example somewhere on the lower floor, it would tend to run a bit more efficiently while at the same time the heat load from the condenser would tend to warm the rooms some. If you are going to do this, be safe, be smart, don't overload the circuit it will be on - look at your breaker box and figure out which outlets are on what circuit, pick one that does not have any other heavy loads on it already.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
I have a 32 year old, split entry, 1550 sq ft. home. My basement windows are above ground. Last year I removed my wood burning stove in the basement family room and had an gas fireplace insert installed. I love it! It really helps make the room comfortable. Also, the heat rises upstairs and heats the house. I typically have the fireplace on for three hours per night. By the time I go to bed, the north end of the upper level (where all the bedrooms are) is between 73-76 degrees. I have a ceiling fan above my staircase that I could turn on to help move the hot air up from the basement if needed.

I will be getting a new furnace in the next few months as I think mine is original. I'll also be getting central a/c installed. With that, I'm sure I'll need a cold air return in the lower level. I have 2 upstairs now.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 31,877 times
we are considering purchasing a split level home in NJ where one side of the lower level is ajacent to the ground, the other side is completely above ground. there are no stoves or fireplaces in the house, but it has central air and baseboard gas heat. Our biggest concern is, will the lowel level going to be very cold in the winter time? If so, how does it affect the upper level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House