Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 28,404 times

Advertisements

i just bought a house that hasnt been updated since 1976. anybody have any ideas what i should do to update and modernize an ugly brick fireplace....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:27 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
You can paint the brick. Either solid white or you can lighten the color with streaks of white.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:15 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,038 times
There are also after market mantels that you should be able to find at a building supply store. There are some great wood finishes available and they just slide over your present one. I'm guessing prices could range from several hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on your budget. Let us know what you decide to do. I'm thinking of re-doing mine also.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,930 times
We have z-brick, just need ideas there also, Our mantel is wood, I tried to strip it but noticed it was duck tailed in on one corner, just was wondering if anyone had any ideas????
My stepson was going to put the stuff you use on your counter top down on it, can't seem to remember what it is called, but he said that would look nice, as far as the z-brick I don't know if anything can be done. Any suggestions???

Old 02-12-2007, 06:07 AM

155 posts, read 941,757 times
Hi Yorkie_Mom, Congrats on the moderator status, and on smoking.
I wouldn't suggest using Plastic laminate {(Formica) the stuff on countertops}
Heat tends to loosen the glue that holds it down. Not that a mantel gets hot enough but why take a chance.IMHO. (Plus I'm biased and like the look of real wood, the true reason)
Did you try a heat gun for stripping your mantel? Some of the commercial liquid strippers work very well, or if you or your stepson are handy, you can take it down and take it to a professional stripper. I've taken doors and shutters in. They dip them in big vats and the piece comes out very nice and clean.

As far as the z-brick like Evey said you can paint, or if the color is ok you can just paint the grout joints a different color. Tedious but the results look like a new fireplace.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
You can also tile right over top of it. Travertine is the current rage for fireplaces.

It seems to me that I remember watching my dad put up Z-Brick, and I am pretty sure that it can be taken down.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:29 PM

29 posts, read 180,181 times
I've been seeing a lot of fireplaces being painted white on HGTV, I want to do mine. My Dad said it would probably get dirty really quick, I live in Texas so it won't get used a whole lot. Do you think it will get Dirty when in use or should it stay pretty clean? It's a wood burning fireplace.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:05 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,038 times
Well, if the fire has a proper draft then the outside surfaces should stay as clean as the rest of your room. If you're painting the mantel, buy more paint than you need in case you need to touch it up. I would think a quart should give you two good coats. / Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:41 PM

29 posts, read 180,181 times
Thanks. I guess I should use some Kilz or other primer? Any special kind of paint?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,691 times
If you're covering a over red brick you'll probably want to start with Kilz or a primer. I would recommend cream rather than stark white for the paint color - cream is a little warmer. After painting you might consider lightly or liberally rubbing a glaze (perhaps honey colored) over it if you want a more natural stone look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House