Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 06:52 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,320,049 times

Advertisements

Mary Beth Breckenridge: Prepare house now for holiday guests - Breckenridge - Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:59 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,798,292 times
Good Info.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Great advice.

I'd take it one step further and recommend that you sleep in the guest room and use the guest bath yourself one night. You'll immediately realize what needs tweaking.

I always stock the bathroom with extra lotion, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste, toilet paper, air freshener and cleaning supplies. I have a full length mirror and a hand mirror in there as well. I make sure that there is a box of tissues in the bedroom as well as one of those little decanters with the cup on top, for water. I make room for their suitcase and above that, room for them to hang some clothes, in the closet. I point out where the plugs are for phones, iPads, etc. I show them the remote control and ask if they have any questions about it (for the TV). I also have extra pillows in the closet - different types -firm, soft, feather, and foam, and I point those out as well.

I have the coffee maker set for pretty early and I lay out something like pumpkin bread, and a selection of fruit, in case they wake up very early and can't go back to sleep. I leave a small lamp lit in the stairway landing and a couple of small lamps on downstairs so that they can see if they need to get up. I also have a night light in the guest bath.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Kathryn…I'm coming to your house

Food is always available in my house, lol.

I saw one woman's guest room set up and she had a mini fridge, bottled water, and a Keurig with cups and extra coffee in the room. I thought that was cool.

Maybe some chocolates on their pillow or for a smile and especially for kids one of those towel animals

I plan on having a sitting area with a reading lamp set up in my guest bedroom.

Fresh flowers are a nice touch.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Kathryn…I'm coming to your house

Food is always available in my house, lol.

I saw one woman's guest room set up and she had a mini fridge, bottled water, and a Keurig with cups and extra coffee in the room. I thought that was cool.

Maybe some chocolates on their pillow or for a smile and especially for kids one of those towel animals

I plan on having a sitting area with a reading lamp set up in my guest bedroom.

Fresh flowers are a nice touch.
Very nice! I really like the idea of the fresh flowers and the little chocolates!

You bring up a good idea about the reading area. I totally agree - but then my husband will be the first to tell you that I am a lamp fanatic. Actually I'm a lighting fanatic - I must have good, convenient lighting that's not overhead lighting or I get antsy.

I really like to read in bed, so I make sure that both sides of the bed have a bedside table and a good lamp. I also have a little bookshelf in there with a wide variety of books.

I like the idea of the mini fridge and tea/coffee set up too. I have room in the guest closet (we lucked up and the closets are all HUGE in this house!). I wonder if there's a plug in there? If so, I might do that - I think that would be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House