Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,800 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am pretty happy to find this site it would seem the members have quite a bit of knowledge and may be able to help. Basically I rented (considering buying) an old farm house in Western New York (near Buffalo). I naturaly assumed it was just an old run of the mill colonial farm house. However I was googling some pics to get ideas for painting and landscaping and found it difficult to find anything like it. The only things close were actually Victorian Farm houses. Colonials did not seem to have the big front window (with metal "Y" shapes impressed in the glass) or the protruding window over the porch. I can not see original woodwork either as the house has siding. This is supposed to have been the original house in the area of a town well established around 1860 so I assume it must be from early 1800's. I have a hunch it was severely modified by adding on a to the back of house and maybe removing something from the left porch area? I would really be excited if anyone can tell me anything about the house, style, or even how to find out how to tell what type of house it is if any. Very appreciative!
Attached Thumbnails
please help identify my home?-house2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Not every house has to be identified with a style. In the old days they just built a shelter while having any idea what a colonial, ranch, saltbox, or cape was.

Your home best resembles a cape cod with a full front dormer added. The little bird cage dormer on the left also verifies cape cod.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Do you know if previous owners modified the house? If it was built in the 1800s, it would have been made of wood, which is now replaced with siding. Did they add that front part (with the big windows)? Or remove any carvings, moldings, or replace any posts?
Here is a web site with a few different styles. Seems like yours could have fallen under the category of "Folk Victorian." But I'm really not sure:

"House Styles: Picture Dictionary of House Styles in North America and Beyond"
House Style Picture Dictionary - Pictures of House Styles and Residential Architecture

Old 03-31-2009, 02:38 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
National Folk House

Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
I live in western NY in a town outside of Buffalo.
This type of home is very common.

Realtors call this colonial, but it is not. I'm not sure what the type is. It is not cape cod, but I could see why the other poster said that, because the addition does have that look. The main body of the home is the right hand side.

It's a nice looking home, but I do not know the type it would be classified as.

Frank D.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I live in western NY in a town outside of Buffalo.
This type of home is very common.

Realtors call this colonial, but it is not. I'm not sure what the type is. It is not cape cod, but I could see why the other poster said that, because the addition does have that look. The main body of the home is the right hand side.

It's a nice looking home, but I do not know the type it would be classified as.

Frank D.

Without that large addition on the right side it is a cape cod. Without that addition it would be a basic one ridge gable roof with a small dormer bird cage on the left.

That large dormer flush with the face of the lower floor makes for a full height 2nd floor on the right side. The left side will be a typical cape interior with a 4' wide ceiling with 5' pitched side ceilings which is also the rafters. Then the side walls will be 4' high. And you can walk into the little bird cage dormer with about a 7' ceiling.

If the OP would post a picture of a side view of the left side this will be verified.

Like I said in my OP, why does it have to even have a style? It's a pretty nice looking house.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,800 times
Thanks all! It has been pretty hectic but I will try to get some more pics up soon. Thanks again for the suggestions, gives me some things to look at. The town is also big on history so I hope to find out stuff from the historical society as well.

I understand it doesn't have to have a style. But as silly as it sounds we are treating the house almost like a person and this is the "getting to know you phase". Plus as I mentioned anything we do we would like to keep as close to original as we can. So I guess that is the other interest. I mean if it is a colonial then that is a different color scheme and molding than a victorian for example.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Very nice house. See if you can dig through some county records to find out if/when any additions were built, or other modifications took place. Ask long-time neighbors what they remember. That'll help you get to know it better.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Very nice house. See if you can dig through some county records to find out if/when any additions were built, or other modifications took place. Ask long-time neighbors what they remember. That'll help you get to know it better.

Good advice! Here is a related article in the same website I gave above. Part of it recommends talking to neighbors:

How Old is Your House? A Guide to Finding the Age of Your Old House
How Old Is Your House - Research Your Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House