Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:31 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,393 times

Advertisements

Anyone had a unidentified (ID still pending) neighbor walk their dog and allow them to do their business on your front lawn, and then leave without picking it up? It's the third time its happened this week.

I made up a sign today but my wife won't let me put it in the yard. It's shaped like a gravestone with "R.I.P." across the top, a drawing of a dog beneath it, and the words "Last Dog to Poop in the Yard" along the bottom.

So, pending the placement of the "gravestone" right where Fido's been doing his business, anyone have another solution to the problem that's worked for you? I happen to like my dea, but I've gotta' keep peace in the family.

BTW, I think the sign looks pretty good. It's made out of 3/4" plywood, about 2 1/2' tall, painted lite grey, and the words are black with dark grey shadow accents. Still, the wife doesn't want it in the yard.

Again, how did you solve the doddie doo problem from an unknown neighbor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
newsobserver.com | Survey on poop: Half don't scoop

At least in my municipality they give fines for dog owners that don't scoop poop. If I were that concerned I'd install a camera.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,209 times
Go buy mass amounts of black pepper and spread it all over your yard..........whe dogs start sniffing around looking for a place to crap, they won't do it in your yard..........the pepper burns thier nose and they run off yelping as if they have been kicked.........this also works in flower beds etc.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:38 AM

70 posts, read 379,226 times
Default When you find out

who the dog belongs to, put on a Scoobie Doo costume & start taking dumps on the owners lawn.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post

Again, how did you solve the doddie doo problem from an unknown neighbor?
heh
Garth, your sign sounds great!
This messy problem was legendary in my old Denver neighborhood.
It caused untold grief, and made the responsible dog owners look bad.
I think the pepper can help, but the thing is, you have to keep it up, it is not a one-time solution.
In our block, the worst culprit turned out to be living right on our street, this pleasant but clueless woman let her dog roam around very early in the morning, leash-less and unattended. Your sign would not have done any good in that situation.
The dog never went on our yard because we were up early too, and she was scared of our pooches.
People began bagging the poop and throwing it on her porch.
This got the owner's attention and assuaged but never completely solved the predicament. I don't think it will end until that old Lab dies.
Hopefully you'll have better luck.
People jogging with dogs (again, early in the morning) can also be guilty of stray "deposits" because they are into their run and either can't or won't pay attention to what their pet is doing.
And then there are people who simply don't care.
A direct confrontation might be the best resolution, but that requires vigilance; you may not be the type of person who wants to be constantly scouting the sidewalk for errant dogwalkers.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
I like your sign idea. Why not put it up? It's a humerous way of letting someone know you don't appreciate their lack of respect! Nothing wrong with it in my book. That is, of course, if the dog is with their owner.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
I saw a sign several years ago (actually it was three- in the one yard); it was a silhouette of a "hunkered up dog" with the international "NO" symbol (red circle with slash through it) on it. And it definitely got a chuckle out of me. And its also more P.C. if that was your spouse's complaint.
Its just a shame that the stray dog(s) can't read; then again, some of your neighbors probably can't read either!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
they actually make signs that ask neighbors to "pick up after your pooch, please!" You could try that. Or, you coulg set up video and see who it is. Or, and this is what I would do, I would hire a kid to watch and tattle tale on the dog/owner! And then confront the owner. If you do find out, you could start bagging it up and leaving the bags on their lawn and they will get the hint.
Good luck. so annoying. I pick up after mine and it is so rude not to

Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
Get a motion activated sprinkler. They run for 3 seconds. Keeps dogs & people out of your yard. Here is a link Motion Sprinkler - Pest Control - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

Old 11-07-2007, 01:02 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I saw a sign several years ago (actually it was three- in the one yard); it was a silhouette of a "hunkered up dog" with the international "NO" symbol (red circle with slash through it) on it. And it definitely got a chuckle out of me. And its also more P.C. if that was your spouse's complaint.
I would have bought that sign if I'd seen it!

We used to have a neighbor who allowed this behavior from her animals. When I said something to her, her response was, "It's an animal. What do you want me to do?" Um, clean up after it? She said that was ridiculous.

Every time I began finding the poop in my yard, I would return it to her. I would scoop it up in the shovel, walk over to her front porch and deposit it there--without a bag. (Why should I do her work for her? Let her bag it up.) Funny, she never once mentioned all the piles of poop she found on her front porch. I guess she couldn't complain, since it was her own animals' poo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House