Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM

14 posts, read 27,483 times

Advertisements

Just moved in a house with golf view in backyard. Yesterday when I was standing in my yard, a golf ball landed in and scared me a little.

Feeling some unsafe now although it's funny. Just curious how often this thing happens? What shall I do, throw the ball back? How about if the ball hits me or cracks my window?

Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,138 times
Depends on your proximity to the teebox. They will hit you, they will bounce and hit you. Keep the balls; you can get about 40 bucks per 100 for good ones. That will help you to pay for broken glass, because it's coming, and it's very difficult to catch them and collect. The golf course will not take any responsibility. When those gas filled windows break; it creates quite a crash, be ready. Have you already noticed the tension between the clubhouse and the residents? Happens in every GC community. Good luck. Fooore!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
kinda like the people that buy a house next to the airport and then complain about the airplane noise.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 PM

All of that being said, The GC communities in some other areas have held their value well and always demand a premium. The Assessor will remind you of this. There have been a couple of flops here, but I think it was more a developer failure--not an established neighborhood.

I'd rather live on a GC, out of harm's way, than have a 350 sq. foot pool in my backyard--for the same money.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,862,964 times
I'm guessing you're not a golfer, since it would have been obvious to a golfer which homes were in the line of fire. And a golfer would probably tolerate errant shots since everyone does it.

You'll have to cover the damage caused by balls hitting your house. Consider window film or screens to prevent shattered glass. If you find the person that hits your house, you can try to recover damages from them. But the golf course and the HOA are not responsible.

Maybe a better question is why a non-golfer would pay the premium to live on a golf course and then consider it a nuisance?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:23 PM

My window was broken by a right hander's 45 degree hook. It only broke one pane. I judged the location to be safe and had one break in 4.5 years. The ponds are also magnets for trespassers around sunset. There will also be other trespassers playing a few holes at dusk. Any green area seems to be a magnet for people with big dogs on illegal 12 foot leashes, picking up sometimes.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:18 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
I'm surprised the golf coarse wasn't an issue when you obtained your home insurance. I guess you didn't mention it to them and they never checked. You could probably lower your deductible to cover the broken windows but it would quite likely end up costing you more in the long run.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Hmmm. Let's see...golf course....golf balls. That's a strange combination isn't it? Duhhhhh.

I hope it's not Red Rock CC. If it is this guy will crap when he sees wild burros, coyotes, and bobcats roaming around his back yard. And whatever course it is he will have rabbits, and maybe ducks and geese if he has a pool...or even if he doesn't.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 PM

the geese are a huge problem. Most folks are going to have a 250 deductible (or more). Might come in handy if it's a sliding glass door.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:37 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
I worked at a glass/window shop for a long time. We got a HUGE amount of business from windows broken by golf balls. I never understood why people were so surprised by this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House