Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Pool guy says he thinks we have old pipes that have corroded . . .
they're not PVC?

Quote:
His point of view is that, "it's construction and if you hired someone to put up a picture in your house and they hit a wire and knocked out all your electricity it wouldn't be their fault." I think it would.
It would be the contractors fault. That's one reason you hire a professional; so you don't destroy anything because you lack the knowledge.

If we damage anything during the course of working on someone's property, no matter what it is, if we break it, we fix it. Or I hire a contractor in the field of what I broke to fix it.

I don't know what your laws are, so I'm not sure how far you'll get w/o having a contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
This is also a good reason to make sure contractors have liability insurance.
Liability insurance always excludes damage to "Your Work" and usually excludes damage to any part of the property that you are working on. This would probably require builders risk insurance. If you were to damage some other property (like a water main) it would be covered. Usually however damage to the homeowners property is nto covered by liability. At least not without a fight.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Liability insurance always excludes damage to "Your Work" and usually excludes damage to any part of the property that you are working on. This would probably require builders risk insurance. If you were to damage some other property (like a water main) it would be covered. Usually however damage to the homeowners property is nto covered by liability. At least not without a fight.

Since it is not a new construction or work being done by a general contractor, builder's risk would not be involved; but homeowner's insurance would.

You're about 90% guaranteed that the pool contractors liability insurance wouldn't cover this.

Defective work or uncompleted work would be covered by a performance bond.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
they're not PVC?

It would be the contractors fault. That's one reason you hire a professional; so you don't destroy anything because you lack the knowledge.

If we damage anything during the course of working on someone's property, no matter what it is, if we break it, we fix it. Or I hire a contractor in the field of what I broke to fix it.

I don't know what your laws are, so I'm not sure how far you'll get w/o having a contract.
They are PVC. I guess he thought they were older (based on the pool age) but they had been re-done.

I have no contract...just a quote. I'm not sure how this is going to shake out.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
They are PVC. I guess he thought they were older (based on the pool age) but they had been re-done.

I have no contract...just a quote. I'm not sure how this is going to shake out.
I've never seen PVC corrode.

Have you payed him already for what he came to do this year?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
You have a contract. It just is not written. You have either an oral contract or an implied contract.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You have a contract. It just is not written. You have either an oral contract or an implied contract.
In court, that can be just worth the paper it is written on. Nothing.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
I've never seen PVC corrode.

Have you payed him already for what he came to do this year?
Nope. We are changing over to a salt water system and we paid him for that....we did not pay him to install it yet (we have the system hidden lol). He has opened the pool (when the problems were discovered) and cleaned it twice which I have a bill for but haven't paid.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Nope. We are changing over to a salt water system and we paid him for that....we did not pay him to install it yet (we have the system hidden lol). He has opened the pool (when the problems were discovered) and cleaned it twice which I have a bill for but haven't paid.
I do not know how long it has been but, I will tell you 60 days after payment is late with me, I send an "intent to lien" and in 90 days file the lien. It rarely happens.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:11 PM

It's been about 10 days since I got the bill. I have every intention of paying for the opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House