Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:10 PM

59 posts, read 268,818 times

Advertisements

I too would never again buy a house with a septic. Just too many problems and too much expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
There are two basic types of septic systems, Aerobic and Anerobic. The Aerobic type is less common and uses a small air pump that continueously injects air into the bottom of the tank. The air supply supports a different type of bateria than the Anerobic type system. The advantage is that the air supply type system (Aerobic) tends to break down wastes faster. (That's the claim anyway).
So if you loose elec pwr you have no air supply and the Aerobic bacteria dies.

The rest of the no pwr problems rfb just touched on.

RFB...BTW the "lines" are called a "leach field"

Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
We have a well and septic at our place in WV, I like the fact that I can take a long hot shower without hearing the "dollar signs".

You should not use any bleach products or very very sparingly, it kills the bacteria. I will occasionally flush a packet of yeast down the toilet to keep the bacteria going, since we do not live there.

We had the pump go up.......No Toilet!
This past weekend we had an electrical problem.......No Toilet!
This was okay since we just packed up and left, What would you do if you lived there!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:11 AM

27 posts, read 138,253 times
Remember that a septic system works with bacteria to break up waste. Watch your chemicals, ie cleaning products, that you put in. Assuming that your system is working properly, you shouldn't have to pump regularlly...if you do, you should have a professional check and see why.

You can "flush" a toilet with a bucket of water (from a pond, pool,creek, whatever) if your well isn't working due to a power outage. Just pour it in the toilet, and it will clear the bowl.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:18 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk21 View Post
You can "flush" a toilet with a bucket of water (from a pond, pool,creek, whatever) if your well isn't working due to a power outage. Just pour it in the toilet, and it will clear the bowl.
Yeah, but there is not water around But plenty of trees

Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
I purposely looked for a country home on a well and with a Septic. I didn't want to be connected to fluoridated city water (and there have been problems with contamination and restriction because of last year's drought).
I love my well water...tastes great! And I simply don't use products that bleach much in the toilets. I use a pumice bar to scrub the hard water build-up off and occasionally throw a box of RidX or a similar product down the toilet.
My Septic tank is below the house as well and far away from the water well.
I wouldn't drink city water again if you paid me and I don't want the hassles of city hookups.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 PM

202 posts, read 950,186 times
Positive note, if you have a septic and community well you are probably not paying city taxes which could save you a good chunk a money on your monthly payment. Also your water bill is much cheaper because your not paying a sewer fee, ask the Cary people what there water bill our during there summer when there irrigation is running. Also, if you have a septic you probably have a nice size lot. FYI - I have been in a house for 5 years with septic and community well and it's something that I don't even think about. I do admit if an ice storm hit and we lost power for a couple of days that would suck, so if they call for an ice storm we just go up to the grocery store and jugs of water on hand to drink, flush toilets. That's really alll you need.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:14 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times
Quote:
I will not buy a home without public water and sewer ever again. Well water runs on a pump. If your electricity goes out no water pump. If you have public water the power can go out and you can shower, wash dishes, use the toilet. If I see a home listed with well or septic I cross it off my list.
As various posters said above, there are different kinds of septic systems. I just had mine replaced last summer, and I got "The Bruiser" (here's a link about them: http://www.chemtainer.com/watertanks/bruiser.aspx)

I also buried my septic system and leach fields (of course the fields are buried anyway), but I know of some people who didn't know you could cover your septic tank -- the city/county planners know where they are located in case anyone forgets. I just put back dirt and grass and plants and a patio over the area. My septic is not uphill, so I don't have to depend on electric, which is good, because a few times a year the electric will go out (trees fall onto power lines), and I, too, have a woodstove to cook on and for heat, and I have not had a problem at all with the toilet during outages.

We also get our water from a local reservoir (Loch Lomond), which is nice (http://lompico.org/) (broken link). I kind of like the idea of being independent of city services and all of that.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo
We have a well and septic at our place in WV, I like the fact that I can take a long hot shower without hearing the "dollar signs".
Surely you know that well water isn't free correct? Most submersable pumps are 230 volts and gulp electricity. Turn the water on when nothing big is running (like the heater, water heater, oven etc) and go outside and count how many seconds the meter takes to do one rotation. Then turn it off and count. There will probably be a big difference.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
We are about to buy a house with well and septic. We have done a LOT of research on them in the past few weeks. You should be aware that a concrete tank is much better than a steel tank, and that the average lifespan of a drainfield is about 40 years. "Our" house has a 39 year old drainfield. And its failing. If all goes well with the perc, we will be moving in with a brand new septic system.

FWIW, here is something I wrote about my septic research: Link Its my site, but I have no ads on there or anything. I have some links to more information at the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House