Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionT View Post
Hi, we are looking at some houses. There is this house with a big tree (oak?) at the back yard. It is a mature tree, probably 3 stories tall (at least). Its branches are very well spread, provides lots of shade, and the tree looks pretty healthy.

My question is : Is it good to have an old /mature tree in the backyard? I know it provides shade and might save on cooling in summer. I am concerned with branches falling off, esp during hurricane season (I'm along the gulf coast).

I have always stayed in aprtments, so I have no experience with trees. Can anyone share, any problems with big trees? Also, does it affect the property value in the future?

Thank you!
Do you know what kind of oak this is? There are several species along the gulf coast, some are more problematic than others. I'm guessing that a 30' oak tree of any species is considerably older than 15-20 years, possibly several hundred, but I have no idea without a picture (and probably still wouldn't with).

If the tree foliage still looks "full and lush" all the way around and all up and down it probably isn't old enough to be in decline and if shouldn't be too much of a concern, but Barking Spider is right. If this is a real concern of yours you probably want a timber assessor to take a looksie to get a definitive opinion. By the way, ask him his rates first. You may decide it doesn't matter that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Holy crap,

I just finished reading the thread. I had no idea that an oak tree (we all assume it's an oak, anyway) could inspire such controversy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House