Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:04 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
How about posting some additional criteria . . what are your expectations?
Kenmore Canister
I've had 4 of these.....in the past 2 years
I love the vacuum, but it has issues with the electrical system. When I bring it back, I'm told that a lot of people have returned them. When I bring it for repairs, the technician tells me that he has them in for repair all the time. The next time it dies, I'm done with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:08 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
We have Orek's in our home and my parents home. The upright and the hand held work perfect. They are both light weight and very functional.

We use ours on the hardwood floors before we do the wiping, great at getting the pet hair and larger dirt. Good on Stairs too!
Years ago, my wife cleaned both at a hospital and at a dental center. Both had the Oreck XL. She grew to really like them, and figured that if they're able to run for several hours, every day of the week, they could probably handle our house.

She was right. If/when the day comes that our current Oreck bites the dust, I'm just about certain we'll buy another one.

Like you, we vacuum our hardwood floors before wiping or "Swiffering". And you're right. It works wonderfully.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
For our house and situation, we like the Bissell Healthy Home Vac. Its suction is strong enough to deal with 4 shedding dogs and comes with all the attachments to clean corner to corner & floor to ceiling. The only thing I can say against it is that its a bit on the heavy side so lugging it up and down the stairs is a workout. (vacuuming the stairs is easy though - it have a really long hose). We have had it for almost 4 years now so the durability seems to be there too. Price is also a plus. It comes in at right around the $300.00 mark.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Yikes! $300 for a vacuum cleaner????

If my c.1981 Eureka ever dies ($49 at MurphyMart! ), I don't know what I'll do.

Consult Consumer Reports. It probably recommends better vacuums for much less than you think you have to spend.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yikes! $300 for a vacuum cleaner????

If my c.1981 Eureka ever dies ($49 at MurphyMart! ), I don't know what I'll do.

Consult Consumer Reports. It probably recommends better vacuums for much less than you think you have to spend.
LOL - I have tried vacuums that cost less (unfortunately - lot of them) and they all couldn't keep up with the work load & fried out pretty quickly. Thats when I realized for us at least it better to spend a bit more & get something that will last.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 AM

I just realized that, in my entire adult life, I have only ever purchased one vacuum cleaner. And it has been repaired only once. Cost me $25, sometime in the 90s.

And yes, I do use it!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 AM

160 posts, read 1,162,052 times
Thanks for your comments! Will be shopping around this week.
I laughed at OhioGirl! When I got married, I remember watching tv and David Letterman was doing a skit on a little vacuum cleaner, a cannister kind, that would stick to the wall and pick up a bowling ball. I went to home of economy and yup found one that stuck to the wall when you held it there and 27 years later we still have it and it still works. We use it to blow up air mattresses when we need them for company as it has a reverse. Can't remember how much, I'm sure not over $30-40!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4me View Post
I need a new vacuum cleaner again. It seems I can't keep one longer than 3 years or so. I know I should buy something better, but don't want to spend the $$. Any suggestions in the $300-$500 range?

Well, keeping in mind that EVERYTHING these days, anymore, is made of cheap plastic. So of course the lifetime expectancy isnt going to be as long as one of the older ones that are assembled with more solid parts.
Either way, personally, I like the canister with the power head type.
I hear that the Oreck upright is pretty good though. (?) Maybe you can check out their website?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I remember watching tv and David Letterman was doing a skit on a little vacuum cleaner, a cannister kind, that would stick to the wall and pick up a bowling ball. I went to home of economy and yup found one that stuck to the wall when you held it there and 27 years later we still have it and it still works.
I remember that ad ... Wasn't it a tiny little Bissell?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
Cool I have a Kenmore

Quote:
I need a new vacuum cleaner again. It seems I can't keep one longer than 3 years or so. I know I should buy something better, but don't want to spend the $$. Any suggestions in the $300-$500 range?
I agree that vacuums are not made to last these days, unlike vacuums that our moms and grandmoms had, today's vacuums are disposable, sad but true. Yes, there are high end machines to last, say Miele, Sebo, and some Electrolux models, but who has $1000.00 +/- to layout for a vacuum cleaner. My limit is usually $300.00-$400.00.

My Kenmore canister died only after a few years and it wasn't a cheap model. I went back to Hoover and didn't like the design, so back to the store it went. I am now back to Kenmore, as I only like canister vacuums. If I had $1,000.00 laying around, I would opt for a Miele, but can't see spending that kind of money. I have been happy with the Kenmore again, but in the back of my mind wondering if it will last more than 2 years at $300.00. I am very easy on my vacuums. I take care of them, the last one was an electrical issue, and it was passed the warranty. It just died, so frustrating.

I also picked up a vintage Kenmore canister on E-bay...a 1980 model, mint condition, hardly used, almost new in my eyes...for a 29 year old machine, I use this more than my new Kenmore...it's amazing how those were built to last...

I would check e-bay for an older model kenmore, electrolux, as these were built to last, not all the plastic and flimsy parts you find on these throw-away vacuums. The bagless design in my eyes is horrid, I prefer a bag. The bag is paper and will degrade, unlike all these throw-away bagless vacuums that last 6 months.

Lastly, my grandmother's Hoover Convertible, which at the time probably was no more than $70.00/$80.00 from the late 60's, lasted forever. You couldn't kill that thing...It was made of metal, no plastic other than the motor hood, the machine came with an array of tools and bags, etc...I am still sad that we sold it at a yard sale years ago...that vacuum is most likely still going....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House