Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:31 AM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times

Advertisements

How many of you use this for your front load washer?? Do you really think its necessary? Also, what brand to use with LG steamwasher? Thks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
My mother in law has a new top loader that says it wants he. She uses the liquid Gain and I have to tell you there is enough perfume in that stuff to make Elizabeth Arden jealous. Unless you have a high tolerance for strong smells I don't recommend that one.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:17 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
I've had a front loader washer for a year. I tried HE for a while to see if there was a difference, and I personally didn't see any. I use a lot less detergent because it is a front loader though.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:20 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Yes, HE is really necessary. Regular detergent will suds up too much, are difficult to rinse out, and you also risk damaging the machine.

Also, newer machines have a sensor in the pump that will pickup suds as a blockage and shut off the machine which will lock the door for several hours as it thinks the machine is overfilled.

Some people will say that they use than the normal amount of a regular detergent in their front loader, however it really is not such a good idea, as over time even lesser amounts of normal detergent can cause damage to the tub bearing. If suds climb inside the machine during the wash cycle, they can clean the grease out of the tub bearing and cause pre-mature wear.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
Then I will be switching back to HE. My appliances last me a very long time, and I want to keep it that way. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 AM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Thanks for the info. I've also heard no dryer sheets..Correct? What can I put in my dryer to make my clothes smell nice then?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:05 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
I use Tide HE, have had my front loaders for almost 4 years, run like the day we got them. I found that if I cut down on the detergent a little it didn't seem to make any difference. If I use too much I get suds, which shuts the whole thing down...less is more.

I use dryer sheets once in a while, I never heard they were not ok..

Old 05-25-2008, 11:07 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I use All HE or Wisk HE, although Wisk smells better. Tide just costs too much.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Thanks for the info. I've also heard no dryer sheets..Correct? What can I put in my dryer to make my clothes smell nice then?
You are welcome!

The problem with dryer sheets is that if you don't clean your lint trap regularly a sort of chemical wax buildup can actually clog the screen. You may not be able to tell just by looking at it, but if you were to take the lint trap out and put it under running water the water would not drain through the screen, instead it will just pool up on top of the screen. When this happens it restricts the airflow, which can damage the heating element, and even be a fire hazard.

If you really want to use dryer sheets make sure to scrub your lint screen with a nylon brush and some hot soapy water on a regular basis, after every use would be ideal...

Old 05-25-2008, 12:50 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
I say, YES, you should use HE! I say this because, I let my mom come wash something one day when I was at work. I said, the Tide HE is on the shelf, use what you need.

Mom, without telling me, brought her own regular Tide, to 'save' mine. When I walked in the door, there was my Mom, mopping up suds all over the basement floor, and the machine was flashing 'SUD' in the digital display LOL. They came out the overflow outlet in the back. We ran the machine empty, twice, to get rid of the suds.

So, yeah, use HE : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House