Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
What dishwasher has a "warm" setting? In any case I think you are taking my post out of context so no I have no point to make to you on this. I've made it above by giving the costs of running a hot water heater at higher temps.
The question was for a 10 degree drop in water temperature. Your post were repeats and already addressed prior to your reiteration. The temp. sensor in dishwashers bring the temp up to what the dishwasher is made for depending on what settings you choose. Some even wash in cold water. Either way if you choose a "hot" wash setting since both heat the water up the same way there is zero difference between to two resistive elements that the mfg's of both pieces of equipment choose to use to heat that water. Washing machines have a warm setting by the way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Which is often another way of saying "Lower your standards."

Unacceptable for 98% of of Americans.
You are absolutely correct. Maybe it's time for us fat dumb and happy Americans to stop living in LALA land and start thinking about basic survival.
Even if it doesn't ultimately come to that, we will be ahead by our efforts.
I am 58 years old and have been through several real lean times while growing up so I know how to do with less when it is necessary. What are the two generations behind us going to do? Most of them have no skills in how to survive. They think everything comes to them by right not priviledge. We have done our children and grandchildren a great disservice. Most of the rest of the world is a couple of generations behind us. I think if we don't wake up it will ultimately lead to our own demise.
This education starts at home. Get it before it is too late.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:10 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
You are absolutely correct. Maybe it's time for us fat dumb and happy Americans to stop living in LALA land and start thinking about basic survival.
Hey, I'm very thin (9% to 11% body fat), very intelligent (multiple degrees, 130-140 range in IQ tests), and very unhappy.

But being very thin, I have absolutely no tolerance for cold temperatures.

I'm nervous about climate control in my new house. The easy times of living in an apartment and having virtually free/guaranteed 74 degrees year round are gone.

Granted, I paid extra for six inches of sprayed-foam insulation in the walls and about two feet in the attic, but the HVAC system is very undersized. I think it's going to be a very uncomfortable winter.

How much energy does an electric blanket suck down?

Old 08-31-2009, 03:15 AM

There are more things that affect capacity in an HVAC system than just it being undersized. You can have an over-sized system that isn't working properly or moving the air it should be and lose quite a bit of capacity. Also another myth is that an HVAC system running all the time on the hottest days is unacceptable. HVAC system are most efficient after about 10 minutes of full run time.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
Default You need to get a snuggle buddy..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Hey, I'm very thin (9% to 11% body fat), very intelligent (multiple degrees, 130-140 range in IQ tests), and very unhappy.

But being very thin, I have absolutely no tolerance for cold temperatures.

I'm nervous about climate control in my new house. The easy times of living in an apartment and having virtually free/guaranteed 74 degrees year round are gone.

Granted, I paid extra for six inches of sprayed-foam insulation in the walls and about two feet in the attic, but the HVAC system is very undersized. I think it's going to be a very uncomfortable winter.

How much energy does an electric blanket suck down?
Electric blankets do not suck down much juice, got to love that terminology. You are better off getting a nice snuggle buddy, the right one makes the winter far more comfortable. Usually you can jack back that electric blanket control knob two clicks when also using the buddy. Can make you happy.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 AM

286 posts, read 1,481,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
On the original question.

Can you drop the heat from 120 degrees to 110 degrees and not have to worry about bacteria?

The answer is that it won't make a difference. Neither temperature is high enough to insure sterilization if that is what you are worried about. Most residential hot water heaters do not get hot enough to achieve this anyway as you need to be in the 180+ degree range.

Unless you are a restaurant, hotel or hospital, it should not be a concern if you are using soap and cleaners.
The answer is no.

Increasing the temp of a domestic water heater to 140f or higher will and does kill the bacteria commonly found in domestic water heaters.

The most important type of bacteria is Legionella. It is very dangerous because it becomes airborne; especially in a shower. Other types of bacteria are mostly reducing types that are nonharmful; such as iron, sulfate and manganese reducing bacteria. They normally create an H2S gas (sulfur) odor in hot water.

Anyone questioning the 140f can look up raw milk pasteurization and see what temps are used or, into ice cream production with raw milk just hours after leaving the cow. Penn State U is about the best place for that information. The temps used are much lower than 140 or 180f but, it is for a specific length of time; IIRC usually less than 30 minutes.

Turning up the temp of a water heater to 140f for as little as a couple hours is usually all that is needed.

Since the federal government's 1970's regulation calling for the max temp of a water heater to be factory set at 120f, there have been many instances where Legionella bacteria has been found in domestic water heaters. Currently it is a large problem that is getting worse because people want to protect kids from too hot water. Or because the guy wants to save a few bucks on the fuel bill to heat his water...

Well, that protection, and savings thing, they have consequences just like that regulation due to the energy crisis of the 1970s.

It prevents kids from learning to THINK before they do something like turning on hot water and not testing the temperature before using it.

Good judgment can only be learned from bad experiences. And preventing our kids from bad childhood experiences is IMO, bad parenting. Another fact is that for every action, or advantage, there is an opposite reaction or disadvantage.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:39 PM

Energy Savers: Lower Water Heating Temperature for Energy Savings

Quote:
You can reduce your water heating costs by simply lowering the thermostat setting on your water heater. For each 10ºF reduction in water temperature, you can save between 3%–5% in energy costs.
Although some manufacturers set water heater thermostats at 140ºF, most households usually only require them set at 120ºF. Water heated at 140ºF also poses a safety hazard—scalding. However, if you have a dishwasher without a booster heater, it may require a water temperature within a range of 130ºF to 140ºF for optimum cleaning.
Reducing your water temperature to 120ºF also slows mineral buildup and corrosion in your water heater and pipes. This helps your water heater last longer and operate at its maximum efficiency.

Related Information

Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"You can reduce your water heating costs by simply lowering the thermostat setting on your water heater. For each 10ºF reduction in water temperature, you can save between 3%–5% in energy costs."

R-I-G-H-T... From the same government that brought you TARP, ethanol in gasoline, alternate day gas purchases, warnings about Legionaries that contradict this, and a few dumb wars.

Here is a big clue. "For each 10ºF reduction in water temperature, you can save between 3%–5% in energy costs."

Simple statement, right? Sounds reasonable? Oh Really? How about examining this statement for just a second?

My water is set at 160? the incoming temperature is 50 in the cold season, plus or minus. 160 - 50 = 110. I have 11 10% reductions in temperature if I follow those guidelines. 5% x 11 = 55%
So... if I turn OFF my heater, I can expect to save only 55% of my water heating costs... WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 45%??? Is that taxes??? Or does the government think that my water comes in at -40F??? Even that wouldn't be a correct figure. Sounds like government math to me!

DON'T TAKE THE BS THAT IS BEING FED TO YOU WITHOUT AT LEAST A TOKEN BATTLE!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 PM

It's not total it's built up on top of each reduction. Each 3-5% you "save" you lower what the next 3-5% actually "saves". It's not really that far off if you do the math. Most people don't keep their water heaters at more than the 120°-125°F. They aren't going to be able to lower 50°F without major complaints. Besides it's not 10% reductions it's 10°F reductions. You have 5 10°F reductions if you go from 160°F to 110°F or am I missing your point?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The point is that it is a specious and nonsense buzzword absolutist factoid that doesn't pass even a first glance test.

I could say that for each instance of driving 10 mph slower, you will save 5% of the gas you would use, and it would make as much sense. First, the savings are non-linear. Second, there are other factors such as length of hot water pipes and frontal air resistance of the vehicle. Third, neither takes into account the REASON for going at speed or the NEED for heated water.

My water heater sits in a closed closet in the interior of my home. I heat with a heat pump. During the months when the house needs heat, my "savings" are offset by the increased use of the heat pump. I come out ahead with the heat pump, but the actual percentage savings is reduced because of that secondary effect. During the summer, I lose a little, but the higher incoming water temperature balances out that loss.

Even if I got maximum "savings," based on our use of hot water I would save a maximum of $70 per year. Again, that is still not as much as the cost of one doctor visit.

I'll admit it. I can be a cheapskate. I try to find every angle to save money. I saved a $700 hookup fee by not hooking into county water, and I saved a monthly water bill of $30/mo. I pay about $10/mo in power for my pumps, and a replacement filter. If I could save $70 on my water heating and have safe water, I would do it. I didn't do it in Florida where the municipal water was green, and I don't do it here where I add the chlorine myself to be sure I've done what I can to insure a safe supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House