Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 AM

186 posts, read 848,789 times

Advertisements

I have a 2 acre property, but most of it (65%?) is wooded. Some of the lawn is sloped as well. I have been toying with the idea of a push mower, since I don't care for the fumes of gas and it would give me a little extra exercise. Are there any caveats that I should be aware of? Should I ditch that idea and get a riding mower? LOL. As you can see I have no direction on this issue. I'd prefer to do what will save a bit of money too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
I think a push mower would be too hard for that much lawn. I agree with you about gas power; fumes and smell. How about an electric? I have a small black & decker corded which works well on my patch. For a bigger yard, how about a cordless...
Neuton Battery Lawn Mowers -

Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Self-propelled 22" would be about the smallest I would consider. Start with something like that. If you get a rider, you often have to own a smaller mower to get to certain spots anyway.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:30 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Self-propelled 22" would be about the smallest I would consider. Start with something like that. If you get a rider, you often have to own a smaller mower to get to certain spots anyway.
Craftsman has some really good mowers and warranties.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Manual reel mower ... if you're diligent about mowing, then it'll be great exercise, as you don't want it to get too long - otherwise, it will be tough. Cordless ... they're OK for smaller areas and more convenient than dragging an extension cord, but mowing time is limited to the battery.

For a half acre or more ... self-propelled or riding mower. For cleaner burning, there are ones that run on LPG (propane).

Old 08-29-2009, 11:51 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,328 times
Self-propelled at least. I watched a neighbor of mine (in IL, from where we just moved) really struggle to mow his yard with an electric mower. Sloped lawn, too....it really is a work-out--in the heat of summer, especially. We had about 3/4 acre and started with a self-propelled (Toro) but graduated to a riding mower. Lots less time in mowing and you're not as tired when you're finished. It helps if you lay out your landscaping such that your riding mower can handle most of it (easy curves, etc.).

Old 08-29-2009, 01:24 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Self-propelled mower absolutely a minimum and like they said above, you will need some sort of mower in addition to the rider if you choose to go that way. Since you have slopes, you need a front wheel drive w/ the large rear wheels. The absolute best mowers are the Hondas but they will set you back a minimum of $900 (I envy my neighbor and brother theirs). Your next best would be the Toro's in the 300-500 range (what I ended up buying). Craftsmen used to be good but have been having some quality issues lately with the wheels. I bought a new mower this year and researched the issue to death.
The Nueton is an absolutely great electric mower but I worry about the charge capacity on larger lawns and its heft on slopes.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:02 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm with Harry. Mowing in the middle of the summer in warmer climates is a lot of work. Sounds like you have at least 1/2 acre to mow. I would want as much power as possible.

The best kind of mower is operated by someone else.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:42 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Indeed. If you have a 1/2 acre to mow, then an electric mower won't be enough and certainly don't spend your money on a rechargeable mower. It won't last long enough on a charge to do a 1/3 rd of it.

You can get a gasoline mower then do a propane conversion on it. Propane doesn't have the fumes and smell of a gas mower, it's cleaner and easier on the engine, and the fuel is cheaper.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
You're not going to want a manual push reel type mower for that much lawn! If it was me, I'd get a riding mower for that much lawn. I have a Toro self-propelled push (walk behind) mulching mower, and it gives me more than enough exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House