Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 AM

286 posts, read 1,481,905 times

Advertisements

wow, sch 80 PVC. I really do not believe it makes a difference with codes or the cold water only requirement. And if it was mine, I'd get it off the hot side, before an electric water heater's element stays on or thermostat fails etc. and you might wish you replaced it. 3/4" PEX would have been better much less expense too and it is code approved and rated for hot water application.

All potable water line material is stamped about every 18-24" with the pressure rating and plastics have the temperature the rating is at. I.E. 420 psi @ 73f.

Before doing anythign about the PVC, check your sch 80 PVC temp/psi rating and then search with Google etc. or for the manufacturer's web site to find how much the psi is reduced by warmer temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,935 times
It is not stamped with anything, which is what tells me it probably isn't suitable for potable water. Previous owner did many things not to code; some of his fixes have held up, some not. Not sure why he didn't use PEX, unless it was done before PEX was being popularly used.

I am too broke to replace it all, it'll have to do for now....

Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,493 times
I think what you have isn't pvc. I think it's Qest (PE). By what you said, "grey color", "plumber said I'd have to get it ....all.....taken out" etc. Pex and Qest attatch to fittings with crimp rings. The Pex ones are black and the Qest ones are copper. Qest is the one with all the lawsuits. It blows off on the hot side mostly, and also if the kind that has nylon fittings rather than copper fittings the nylon gets brittle with age and snaps, thus if you have Qest, you probably don't need like an April Air humidifier.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 AM

Too early..."I think it's Qest (PE). ".......I meant PB, sorry

Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 AM

All water line materials are marked every 18-24" as to what they are; PB, PVC, CPVC, PEX, PE, K L or M copper, etc.. And a plumber should know sch 80 PVC from PB. PVC has solvent welded (read 'glued') fittings and PB doesn't.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanetary View Post
I think what you have isn't pvc. I think it's Qest (PE). By what you said, "grey color", "plumber said I'd have to get it ....all.....taken out" etc. Pex and Qest attatch to fittings with crimp rings. The Pex ones are black and the Qest ones are copper. Qest is the one with all the lawsuits. It blows off on the hot side mostly, and also if the kind that has nylon fittings rather than copper fittings the nylon gets brittle with age and snaps, thus if you have Qest, you probably don't need like an April Air humidifier.
It's definitely not PB, it's glued, not crimped.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
All water line materials are marked every 18-24" as to what they are; PB, PVC, CPVC, PEX, PE, K L or M copper, etc.. And a plumber should know sch 80 PVC from PB. PVC has solvent welded (read 'glued') fittings and PB doesn't.
If it's not Schedule 80, you tell me what it is:

Attachment 49708

As you can see, it's glued, not crimped. The copper goes into a 90 degree PVC elbow and is glued to this pipe, which has no markings. I went to Lowes to see what the Schedule 80 PVC looks like, and it looks and feels just like this. This pipe is hard as a rock and would not bend like PEX, if you bent it, it would crack.

If it is indeed Schedule 80, realistically, will it accomodate 130 degree water under 50 psi?

Last edited by Phish Head; 02-11-2012 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Default Whut IZIT?

it's....dissimilar materials. that copper was prolly epoxied into that fitting. Will it withstand 130 degrees? Who knows? It's not used properly, so it's not tested for the application.

You want to take the chance, it's your house, it's your belongings ( hope you have a check valve on your main though)

Dissimilar materials need to be joined (accepted materials) with a MECHANICAL connexion...female by something (sweat?)/male adapter by glue, ferinstince. If I was you, I'd cut all that out, go above the copper male in that picture, and go with copper, either sweat if you know how, or even shark bites if you don't....if you want to sleep good at night and not worry about it, hire a licensed plumber, and get it done the right way.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 AM

The picture is too dark to see it well but the elbow looks white, as if it is sch 40 PVC. If so it should be replaced.

I would also replace the questionable plastic with CPVC or copper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House